Wednesday, March 13, 2013

DVR Purge 3/8-3/12

Well look-e-here. I actually watched an SNL on time. Luckily, it was a great week to do it. Things are still a little slow in this post-sweeps lull, which isn't a total complaint. There's basketball to watch and I'm about to start struggling to keep up.
 

 Saturday Night Live "Justin Timberlake"
I tend to get pretty backed up with episodes of SNL and I'll even let a few slide past me that I catch in reruns over the summer. That has more to do with the nature of the show that any issue I have with it. It's non-essential viewing. J.T.'s fifth time around seemed like a good one to watch immediately since he tends to be game for just about anything and I think everyone ends up bringing their A-game. This was no exception. First Stephon sighting of the year already makes this one of the best of the season. I was a little irritated by all the guest-stars taking up screen time. A necessary evil of the show in some ways, but it makes me feel bad that, say, Jay Pharoah had nothing to do but Andy Samberg gets Maine Justice. Overall, I quite like the current cast and the season has been addition by subtraction in a lot of ways with some of the more dominating cast members (Wigg foremost) no longer there.

Shameless "Where There's a Will"
I'm a bad person, right? I found the two funniest moments to be Carl with the rat poison and Debbie creating her molestation story. I'm talking howling laughter. That can't speak well of me.
-While Lip is a complete idiot, I find Karen kind of fascinating. It's like they don't want anyone liking her, but they do it in a way that I like having her around. She like Lip's personal Monica.
-I don't know what to make of Kevin and V's warped love triangle. This isn't the most interesting story for them so far, just the oddest.

The Walking Dead "Arrow on the Doorpost"
Um, I liked this episode even if what they were doing was super transparent by drawing the parallels between the characters. It was a little heavy on the parallels though. Some sublty've been nice. I'm curious how long the Governor is able to be like this without a mutiny from within. They are painting him as the outright bad guy rather than a darker shade of grey. I think the show has been doing a remarkable job these past couple episodes of maintaining the tension without forcing something big to happen. For example, when Glenn and Maggie were having their adult time, I was on the edge of my seat expecting something awful to happen. I don't know how this whole story is going to play out, but the build-up has been handle much better than I'd've thought they could do at this time a year ago.

House of Lies "Wonders of the World"
I'm torn. It's nice that the show is trying to go after something with a little substance and they aren't doing a bad job with it. The topic though, doesn't fit at all. This show just doesn't fit for discussing social issues. I'm sorry. It doesn't at all. There's something to be said for shows being able to change, so I'm trying to be mindful of my resistance to change clouding my opinion, but honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the show, so I'm not too concerned with it staying the same. This whole angle strikes me as a bizarre mid-season redirect into a commentary about race that it seems ill equipped for.

California "Everybody's a Fuckin' Critic"
Oh my god! Is someone finally going to breakthrough to Hank about not resisting commercial endeavors? I mean, he's been willing to, but he's never taken it seriously. The backlash over his first draft has him actually thinking about his style and content.
-I'm a little confused. What is it that we are pulling for with Hank and Karen. Are we at a will-they-won't-they stage? Is this a hold-pattern until the inevitable reunion? Are they outright done?
-So happy that Ofelia is gone (at least, I hope she is). I haven't appreciated anything about her.

Cougar Town "You Tell Me"
I liked the Seinfeld gag to an extent. It would make more sense to me if the same character was making all the references that Jules didn't understand. Having it suddenly ubiquitous is one of those sit-com world gags that come off a little forced. If that specifically become a seldom used recurring gag, I will look back on this kindly. If it is forgotten after this week, I will be mildly irritated.
It's good to see the show getting money and sponsorship any way it can, although the Target plot was Subway/Chuck-level blatant. I was a little disappointed to see those commercials from Target were using clips from the show. Whatever. It was a harmless episode.



The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27

No comments:

Post a Comment