Saturday, October 6, 2012

DVR Purge: 9/29-10/4

This Week's Spotlight: None. I got sidetracked by another side project. I know, I know. Week 2 and I'm already dropping the ball.


Homeland "The Smile"
I'll either look at this as an annoying contrivance to bring Carrie back in or a needed device to keep the show moving. The rest of the season will decide.

How I Met Your Mother "The Pre-Nup"
I think this episode sums up my issue with the show these days. What says "running in place" better than an episode making a game out of everyone's relationships being doomed to fail?

Ben & Kate "Bad Cop/Bad Cop"
This feels like the most fully-formed new show still. I like the characters and how they play off each other. I don't so much like the plot for this week, but the rest is enjoyable enough to stick with it for the season while it figures things out.

The Mindy Project "Hiring and Firing"
For me, that was a massive improvement in the second episode. I can see this show working it's way up my list fast. Also, I hadn't taken the time to look at the list of writers and producers for this: Linwood Boomer (Malcolm in the Middle, perhaps my favorite show ever), Chris McKenna (probably Community's best writer), and BJ Novak (The Office) is a pretty powerful 1, 2, 3 when Mindy alone is enough to get me to watch.

Go On "Do You Believe in Ghosts...Yes!"
Like Outsourced, this is a well-intentioned show that doesn't quite feel right. That is far from praise. Even when I don't prefer a show, it can get a laugh or two. This one can't even get that, nor does it do an effective job pulling at my heart strings.

Tosh.0
I'm not sure what kind of commentary I can offer for this other than, that was pretty funny. This was definitely one of the most mean-spirited web redemptions but that White rapper was that perfect mix of stupid, oblivious, and earnest which demands some extra jabs.

Key & Peele "Episode 202"
The good and bad thing about a sketch show like this is that it requires no commitment and can be watched whenever and dropped easily. I like it, but I can see how this falls off when the rest of the fall schedule kicks in.

The Middle "The Second Act"
I wonder if this is their attempt to shake things up. I'm highly indifferent and quite committed to the show. No risk that I'll stop watching it, but I'll continue to wonder what keeps me watching it. This episode didn't swing it one way or the other.

The Big Bang Theory "The Decoupling Fluctuation"
It's hard to say something new about a show that changes so little from week to week. The show is pretty depressing when you think about it. These are really sad characters, and I don't just mean because they're nerds. There's only barely a sense of affection shared by the group and they still write too many jokes that only serve to shit on the cast.

30 Rock "The Beginning of the End"
It is finally hitting me that there are only a finite number of episodes left in this wonderful, wonderful series. I'm going to really miss it.

Up All Night "Swingers"
You know, I've been worried about this show. It isn't where it needs to be yet, but I see real signs that this can improve. The tone of this episode was a lot more comfortable. Considering what the spring and next fall are shaping up to be, I'm am keeping hope for this one.

The Office "Andy's Ancestry"
Enough of this worked for me. Jim and Pam are finally back in the forefront. They aren't forcing Andy to be the central character anymore. Also, finally, Darryl has something to do. Oh yeah, and if they have Erin and the new guy get together, I will be very disappointed. Like 30 Rock, I'm revving myself up for how this will end.

Parks & Recreation "How A Bill Becomes A Law"
I fear that, due to my distrust of politics, this City Council thing is going to keep me constantly on edge. If any show has earned my trust though, this is it. Xena + Ron = potential amazingness! I love that the show is old enough that I can love these characters for every small tick. P&R is still the gold standard in TV comedy and I hope it can sustain the pretty good ratings it's been getting.

The scary thing is that there's still at least a half dozen shows yet to start for fall which I intend to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment