Sunday, October 28, 2012

DVR Purge: 10/20 - 10/27

Weekly Spotlight: Ok, I've done one of these. I need to give it up.


The Walking Dead "Sick"
When did this show get such a hard edge? I find the insane following for this show to be undeserved, but if it keeps up the pace it's setting in these first two episodes, I may not feel that way for long.

Homeland "New Car Smell"
I give up. I. Give. Up. There is no point to second guessing this show. Whenever I think I have it pegged, it does something like this. No more Carrie and Brody cat and mouse, not in the way it was. I cannot wait for this next episode. And the one after that. And the one after, well, you get the point.

Ben & Kate, New Girl, and The Mindy Project
Fuck DVR! I need to find these online somewhere. I hate feeling this ridiculously behind on shows. I can deal with a show sitting on my DVR. For it not to even record makes me wonder why I even pay for this.

Happy Endings "Caszsh Dummy Spillionaires"
Yay! It's back. As always, it is a joke machine. A lot of familiar sitcom territory though. The good thing about the show though, is that there's always enough working for it to put it on my good side (ex: SinBrad makes up for the ridiculous hiding his job nonsense).

Go On "Any Given Birthday"
I consider this episode a big step forward. Remember how New Girl started as the Zooey Deschanel show and became a true ensemble? This is well on it's way. Matthew Perry is a much bigger personality though, and none of his supporting cast look poised to step up. Once that happens, I'll be ready. If that doesn't happen, I can't say I'll still be watching.

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 "A Renuion..."
I get the feeling that ABC doesn't want this show to succeed. It waited forever to premiere last year and didn't even air the whole season. Now, it's saying continuity be damned, pulling a Saved by the Bell, airing the older (Kelly) episodes concurrently with the newer (Tori) episodes. To be honest, I don't blame them for not backing the show more. It's like a dog that shows it's teeth and never bites. It's an ABC show with HBO sensibilities. For God's sake, they don't even have the stones to put Bitch in the title. I like the cast and it's still young enough to find it's own path, so I'm still giving it a chance.

Tosh.0
You know, I watch this show, but it's not like there's much to say about it. I like adding this to my list to show you why I never have time to go out and do things and be social, but I think I'm going to drop it from the weekly rundown because this is a better forum for scripted shows (strictly scripted, not hosted. Fuck you! I know Tosh has writers).

The Middle "Halloween III: The Driving"
I wish I liked Sue. I know she's supposed to be over the top and all, but she always rubs me the wrong way. I felt bad for Mike, not her in the premiere and an episode like this reminds me how smoothly things would go without her. Axl, on the other hand keeps growing on me. He's a buffoon, but they keep layering him and he's actually changed in the time since I started watching.

Modern Family "Open House of Horrors"
It was fine. Cam gets emotional about something. Mitchell tries to hide one of his mistakes. Phil and Claire reenact a gender war. Jay feels old. Gloria realizes she's foreign. Manny relives his childhood. The Dunphy children play trash minutes off the bench. Sound familiar? I swear, I mainly watch this show so I can be prepared to explain why it's overrated. Also, where's Haley?

Suburgatory "The Witch of East Chatswin"
Jane Levy is really good in this. Not earthshakingly good, but damn strong for by far the youngest lead character of any series I watch. She's reactionary to this town in all the necessary ways. I like the use of Halloween-tropes to tell much simpler stories the past two years on Suburgatory, first with the mysteriously missing girl last year and the "witch" this year. It's nice being reminded that the Altman's aren't the only ones who realize how bizarre Chatswin is in general.

Nashville "Someday You'll Call My Name"
I guess you'd say I'm hooked now. Connie Britton is trying her best to add nuance to her Rayna. Hayden Panettire is benefiting from much kinder writing after her purely villainous depiction in the pilot. Clare Bowen has been the highlight of the series so far with her predictable but impossible to root against storyline as well as by far the best selection of songs of anyone. The men need to step in up. I'm tired of walking away saying "it's so cool to see Chip from Whose Line acting."

The Big Bang Theory "The Holographic Excitation"
Did anyone else think that this week didn't end so much as it ran out of time? For a show so determined to stay self-contained too many weeks are ending on a punchline rather than a resolution. Like, what happened to Penny saying she wanted to break up with Leonard? Amy gives up on Sheldon every week like a desperate spinster, afraid to find herself alone again? Wolowitz has been on the verge of depression almost every week. And, are we just cool with Raj being somewhere between a loner and an alcoholic? This season has been a regression into a lot of this things that irked me when the show began which is sad after what seemed like such a step forward last year.

30 Rock "Unwindulax"
I don't know another show that handles politics as brilliantly as 30 Rock. It attacks both sides as equally as any show I can think of. I'd prefer them going back to the tanking NBC plotline, but if any comedy is going to take the election head on, I'm glad to see it's them. I'll be curious to see how acurate they are about which states go to whom.

Up All Night "Ma'am'd"
This was the first episode of the season that felt like a step back. Each shade of each story was overly familiar to me and I forgot most of what I saw as soon as it was over. As filler, it works. Please, don't dip into this well again.

The Office "Here Comes Treble"
It wasn't bad. I'll give it that. I liked seeing some Stephen Colbert, although the story surrounding it I didn't care at all about. No mention of Andy hating Nellie, so that's a plus. Not a fan of Oscar and the Senator's affair either. That worked better when it was Dwight and Angela. Oscar's supposed to be a better person.

Parks & Rec. "Halloween Surprise"
I love you Parks & Rec. Never change. In the best possible way, this episode felt longer than a half hour. It was so jam-packed with stories that I cared about. Ben's proposal is officially one of my favorite moments on the show.

It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia "Maureen Ponderosa's Wedding Massacre"
I love how they do parody by feel, not direct mimicry of horror movies. This felt like a lot of things without being any. Episodes like this remind me just how large the cast of recurring characters is.

The League "The Freeze Out"
I asked for Ravi and I got him. That's enough for a while. Another show that ended more than it concluded. What happens with Pete and Kevin's phones, for example. I assume we'll hear more about the appendicitis next week, but we very well couldn't. After seeing the sight gag with Kevin and the baby, I realize that I'm never sure if they are trying to be shocking with the humor or simply inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment