Saturday, October 20, 2012

DVR Purge: 10/13-10/19

Weekly Spotlight: I've got one stewing for The Middle, but I'm not in town and having trouble getting internet - fuck you. I don't have to explain myself. If you're reading this, your life is probably more pathetic than mine.


Homeland "State of Independence"
This week forced me to ask if a few great scenes are worth a lot of questionable plot developments leading up to them. I say no, but if any show pulls off moments to make me question that, it's Homeland. Still, as with every week, I worry.

The Walking Dead "Seed"
This show knows how to do a premiere! That was tense, thrilling, and suspenseful. The still need to write the characters better, which is my fear for the middle episodes of the season, but when they keep it plot-driven it's damn good. I choose to believe they've worked all the kinks out and this is going to be a great season.

How I Met Your Mother "Who Wants to be a Godparent?"
I hate when a show throws a character under the bus to break a story. Maybe it's just me, but I don't buy that Barney, Robin, and Ted would want to be the godparents of Marvin. Barney is too irresponsible. Even with the episode where she was talking to her fake kids last year (my most hated episode of the series), I don't believe the Robin we've known so 100+ episodes would be petitioning for custody. I fully believe Ted wants kids and they only made him such a bad candidate to keep pace with the other two. This episode did not work for me at all.

Ben & Kate "21st Birthday"
It's official. This is a solid rotation player. It's not breaking new ground with the writing, but the execution is stupendous. I liked Lucy Punch in Bad Teacher, but I'm completely sold on her because of this. This whole cast is solid. I even think I like the kid since they aren't trying to shoehorn her into scenes.

Tosh.0
This has to be one of my favorite Web Redemptions. Tosh tends to get a lot of heat for all his inappropriate jokes. With the armless girl, he got to be as crass as ever but with a charm and even sweetness that I don't normally associate with him. He's really evolved on this show.

The Middle "The Hose"
Oh yeah. That's why I watch this show. The B-story about Brick learning about the birds and bees is an example of what this show does best. Same with Sue and Mike's story. It's a family show about an imperfect, barely middle-class family, but it isn't trying to be Roseanne. It's subtler than that. I could do without Frankie's storyline though. That story was a little too familiar to other shows without exposing any new facets.

Modern Family "The Butler's Escape"
I was hoping to be surprised by something the whole time and it didn't happen. Technically, there was nothing wrong with the episode. Cam and Mitchell got to have a more human storyline, which was nice. I can't say it had any showcase moments the way the first season did. Perhaps I'm grasping for something that is gone, but this show could be - should be - was something special. Oh, and more Haley, please.

Suburgatory "Homecoming"
As long as they keep having great George and Tessa moments like they did at the end and Dallas and Dalia balance the human with the Stepford parts of their personalities, I can deal with the constant recalibrating of the rest of the show. Glad to have it back, although I have learned to temper my expectations.

Nashville "I Can't Help In (If I'm Still In Love With you)"
It's very possible the southern accents and generic country songs could wear on me enough to stop watching. I think I'm rooting for this though. The music industry stuff is interesting and I'll let the political end figure itself out. I can see Connie Britton turning this into another Emmy performance if the writers don't get sloppy with the direction.

The Big Bang Theory "The Re-Rntry Minimization"
I knock this show a lot for, like everything on CBS, being a relic. The structure of the Wolowitz storyline was very familiar and it'll be nice to see him back with the group again. What can I say? The episode set out to make me laugh and succeeded. No depth. Just laughs.

30 Rock "Stride of Pride"
Every season there seems to be an episode in which Tina Fey opts to tackle something that's bothering her ("TGS Hates Women" from season 5 comes to mind). As always, 30 Rock handles it with aplomb, managing to make it's point without being preachy or scrimping on jokes. Sort of a meta proof of the "are women funny?" question asked.

Up All Night "Another Saturday Night"
This show feels so familiar to me now. It's comfortable like a warm blanket. I like watching it although I don't feel compelled to defend it. It doesn't warrant that. Each episode feels like borrowed time and if it comes down to Community or this I've cast my vote already.

The Office "Work Bus"
I am loving all this Jim and Pam. Even this small sample size puts this season ahead of the last one, which is still not saying much. So far this Andy/Nellie feud has gotten me to finally like her at the expense of utterly despising him. Production team, please find a better balance.

Parks and Recreation "Sex Education"
It's nice to see them easing off the City Counsel angle a little. This was some vintage Parks issues and as always, I loved it. As much as I'm loving Ben and April in D.C., I can't wait till the cast is whole again.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia "The Gang Recycles Their Trash"
Hopefully, this episode is a funny-meta homage to previous episodes, like a substitute to having a clip show and no a sign of things to come. After how solid last season was, I'm not worried. Also, Sweet Dee's explanation of Twinks/Twanks/etc. deserves a shout out.

The League "The Hoodie"
I'm all caught up on the show and watched it live all last season. Still, I feel like I'm new to the show, an outsider looking in. What's that about? Still, a solid, if not unremarkable episode. I'm loving all the Shiva so far this season. I could even stand seeing a Rafi episode.



No comments:

Post a Comment