Sunday, October 28, 2012

Movie Reaction: Cloud Atlas

Formula: I don't know if that's possible, but if it was, I think it would be a Terry Gilliam movie.



Cast: This has to be the most diverse cast I've seen in a while, and I don't strictly mean by race. A lot of people here and used in so many ways. I have to applaud everyone for being so malleable. although that resulted in some great and some lackluster performance by the same actor, often at virtually the same time. Tom Hanks is Tom "fucking" Hanks. What more needs to be said there? Halle Berry shows up after what feels like a big hiatus since I last saw her (X-Men 3, maybe). There's a lot of others who do a fine job. I'm cutting it off here though.

Plot: Nope. Can't do it. I'm not sure I've wrapped my mind around it, and it could take a while before I do. So much is happening the whole time that I'm not certain that it's within my capacity to get it all. I'll say this. Given the expected narrative drop-off that occurs when adapting a book to film, I imagine the novel of this would blow my mind. I'm VERY tempted to read it.

Elephant in the Room: Wait, so, everyone plays multiple characters? Virtually every actor plays a variety of character, genders, races, ages, etc. Very simply, this will either bother you or it won't. By my understanding, the text (or at least the screenplay) demands it and the makeup isn't perfect. Different races have different bone structures and stuff. This translates better in text than live-action. Deal with it.

To Sum Things Up:
I'm pretty speechless about this movie. I think I liked it, perhaps a lot. I'm still processing so much. I needed to get my Lord of the Rings stamina back up for this one, clocking in at over 3 hours. There are so many tones, stories, connections, and more that all I can say is to see it and decide. I can promise it will be one of the most unique movies you've seen in some time.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment