Saturday, October 13, 2012

DVR Purge: 10/6-10/12

Weekly Spotlight: I need to find a better way to pick these. Couldn't think of a rant this week.


Homeland: Beruit is Back"
Way bigger ending than I expected for the second episode of the season. How they handle it in episode 3 will be very telling. It'll be interesting how they work out of the hole they're digging.

How I Met Your Mother "Nannies"
I really don't care about either Ted or Robin's relationship. Barney's sexual walk-about hits all the beats of old Barney without any of the fun. Marshall and Lilly are the only viable characters at the moment and I'd really like a non-baby storyline because right now they run the risk of being season 6 & 7 Jim and Pam.

Ben & Kate "The Fox Hunt"
Right now, it feels like they are trying to be too familiar with the characters who I don't know yet. I think I like this show but I need to get more used to it.

New Girl "Neighbors"
The writers only half understand a hipster. They got the look down. Problem is, I didn't buy for a second that those youths don't know who Urkel is or the ending of Top Gun. The conceit of those characters bothered me. I loved all of Nick and Winston's pranking. Made up for the shortcomings.

Go On "Big League Chew"
By now, I should like more of the characters (See: Any) than I do. I may have invested too much time already to stop. Only time will tell.

The Mindy Project "In the Club"
This episode was familiarly Office-y, which is to be expected. I'm still digging this series and I see potential to like a lot of characters, generally the best omen I have for a new series.

The Middle "Bunny Theory"
Damn, this show never surprises me, rarely makes me laugh, and features a lot of characters that mostly irritate me. I don't know why I enjoy it so much, but I really do.

Modern Family "Schooled"
Certainly a big qualitative drop-off from last week. Unlike the Pawnee book from Parks and Rec last year, I hope they are intending to release Phil's musings. Also, this better not mean a Haley's going to be more scarce.

Modern Family "Snip"
I know it was only part of a joke for the tag but I hate when they force the sight gags like the one with Phil and the sign. Such a cheap way to get laughs.

Nashville "Pilot"
I got at least one song stuck in my head and that didn't bother me as much as I expected. I like Mrs. Coach too much and Hayden Panetierre still has goodwill with me from being in Joe Somebody (don't ask). That's enough to give it another week with me.

30 Rock "Governor Dunston"
Gee, I wonder how Tina Fey got so good at writing about political impersonations? I sure hope this isn't the last of Bryan Cranston we see. The return of Cooter makes me hopeful that other classic characters will come back for one last hurrah.

The Big Bang Theory "The Higgs Boson Observation"
About 6 times during this episode I thought I'd seen the episode before. The show is getting old enough that it's time to rehash a lot of the same stories or grow narratively. This show is staying true to form.

Up All Night "Jerry Duty"
I'm so comfortable with these characters. I wish I liked the episodes more. If this gets cancelled or moved to a tougher to watch time slot, I can't say I'd be broken up.

It's Always Sunny... "Pop-Pop: The Final Solution"
Farewell Fat Mac. You will be missed. I can always find a couple good jokes in an episode, but this felt more like retreading than anything special. It's pretty impossible that this season won't be a let down after last year. That hardly means it'll be bad.

The League "Training Camp"
Occasionally my lack of football knowledge gets in the way my enjoyment of an episode. I enjoyed the delivery room fantasy draft gag though.

No comments:

Post a Comment