Monday, March 4, 2013

DVR Purge: 2/28-3/3

Surprisingly strong Sunday to follow a forgettable Tuesday.



Community "Alternative History of the German Invasion"
I'm done beginning these with "I want to like it" or "it's not the same" after this.  I will look at the episodes on their own merit. So, with that said...
I didn't like it. The Germans rubbed me the wrong way last season. To take away Nick Kroll and increase their prominence is not going to improve matters. I've always enjoyed when the show references the obvious favoritism of the study group, but the handling of this was sloppy at best. I'd have to go back and rewatch the D&D episode, but I don't recall the doors ever being locked. Also, both the chair-breaking scene and the screaming were bad, bad, bad. Especially with Chang, I'm pretty sure he'd be met with Changravation, I mean, aggravation, note this broad screaming. I hope next week shows improvement or maybe doesn't try to go too big.

Archer "Live and Let Dine"
I really liked this episode structure.  I find it somehow even funnier that they are using the reality show backdrop on an animated series. Funny stuff.

Legit "Health"
Ok. I've watched a second new episode and also saw Jeffries' stand-up special on Netflix streaming. Last week was not a fluke. I'm on board for this show.

Shameless "A Long Way from Home"
A lot of moving pieces this week as they managed to escalate a lot of stories and still landed a big high from Fi's guardianship hearing. Apparently the house isn't theirs. Karen's back. Jody is...in need of help. Everyone is fighting over Hymie. Debbie got her revenge on Mama Kamala (Oddly enough, last night's episode convinced me to get White Castle for lunch today). Frank stayed cleaned up for a whole episode which did wonders for letting cunning Frank come out (although I'm a little confused why he is so concerned about keeping custody. It's makes him covertly endearing). Oh, and I almost forgot about all the Estefana stuff. Wow, the more I think about it, this episode was pretty seamless. The only thing we are missing for things to hit fever-pitch is a Monica visit.

The Walking Dead "Clear"
I knew it! I knew the writers could write some character moments that didn't feel like wheel spinning. This was not the most exciting episode, which I have no problem with because that was starting to get over-saturated with all that. Basically, they took three problem characters and fixed that. Michonne had a chance to connect with someone on a human level, not just be a badass. Carl got to show how, as hardened as he's become, he is still just a kid. Most welcome of all, Rick got to come out of crazy mode and level out some. I thought the scenes at the beginning and end with the desperate traveller and the writings on the wall were as well done as anything I've seen the show do. This week's little detour, to me, is the writers letting us know that the show is a marathon, not a sprint.

House of Lies "The Runner Stumbles"
I'm saying it again. I think I'm done with the show. The comedy is only somewhat my taste. When they aim for drama, I'm completely checked out. I won't go as far as saying this is a bad show. I will say that despite all my efforts, it is not my taste. Odds are, I'm finishing out the season because I'm too far in, but I will not be seeking it out after that.

Californication "The Dope Show"
Required Becca-centered episode, complete with lazy celebrity and Runkle sexual escapade. Only, I was pleased to see the possible beginning of a Charlie/Marcy reconciliation. This she hasn't been all together right since they did the time jump.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/22-2/26         2/27   

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27


No comments:

Post a Comment