Saturday, November 3, 2012

DVR Purge 10/28-11/3

Sandy + Halloween made this a really odd week for catching up on TV. With all the preemptions I kept finding myself with nothing to do at times when I normally watch stuff. It gave me a chance to get through some backlog DVDs and missed episodes from weeks past, so it wasn't all bad.
This did give me a chance to do some sort of a Weekly Spotlight though. This time, I dig into Modern Family, one of the most persistently frustrating and potentially best shows on TV.


The Walking Dead "Walk With Me"
I wish I cared more about Andrea and her partner more. I probably would've like this episode a lot more. I get that the Governor is leading to something, probably something big, but episode was reminiscent to that half season on Lost on the other island. Sure there's an interesting villain, but I want to see all the characters I care about, like Glenn and Daryl, and what they're up to. I do like that they went ahead and split the stories up by week. I just don't think there was enough story this week to do it.

Homeland "Q&A"
I'm sorry, but watching the acting in this series puts any other show to shame. That interrogation was so phenomenal. This episode reminds me of the cabin getaway last season on that it hit reset on the whole series and took away all the questions of who knows what. From here, it's all about how the characters react to what happens next. This is so thrilling. I just wish the Dana story was going in a non-Landry, Season 2 direction.

How I Met Your Mother "Hurricane Sandy"
CBS tried to trick me by swapping in a rerun at the last second. Fuck Sandy!

Ben & Kate "Scaredy Kate"
This isn't a show that wants to do anything new and I don't mind. I think it's my new The Middle in that way, but I like the characters more at this point. I find myself enjoying BJ and Tommy more than the eponymous characters.

Happy Endings "Sabado Freegante"
I could've watched the pinata sequence for 30 minutes, easy. Each combination of characters was great this week. The car buying story was full of amazing verbal and sight gags. Alex and Dave aren't always my favorite pairing but throwing Rachel Harris in the mix created a special alchemy. Let's be honest, any week when Brad and Max are the "weak" story is a good sign.

New Girl "Halloween"
I think this was the most laugh-out-loud funny episode I remember since they introduced "True American". Schmidt trying to headbutt Robby and repeatedly being blocked. Nick screaming in the haunted house. Winston mistaking an LAPD cop for being a costume. Nick punching Jess and being attacked by the monsters. This was jam-packed with gems.

The Mindy Project "Halloween"
There is such a great sense of Mindy Kaling's voice in this (understandably). This show still isn't where it needs to be but it's well on it's way. Going into this year, I was very worried about what I would do when NBC Thursday is completely decimated. Fox Tuesdays are gearing up to fill that void with Mindy leading the way...perhaps I'm too excited by how much I enjoy this show.

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 "Love and Monsters..."
Ugh. This episode almost single-handedly convinced me to drop my series recording. I didn't hate it, per se. It's more accurate to say it invoked an aggressive apathy in me. This is not a great meta show beyond it having the Beek from the Creek, so the Ramantic Comedy stuff largely fell flat and I'm very bothered by their attempts at edgy jokes that aren't allowed to go in for the kill. Giving it a few more weeks though because I like Dreama Walker.


Go On "Hurricane Sandy"
Seriously, this Hurricane is driving me insane. If I wasn't behind on TV all week because of Halloween movies and missed broadcasts from the week before, I'd be really pissed.

30 Rock "There's No I in America"
Certainly enough individual gags to make it time well spent. Jack's attack ad was great and the debate was predictably enjoyable. I wasn't all that high on the Pete back story but that has more to do with irritation by all the people who were sincerely optimistic back in '08 than any weakness in the writing. I'll be happy when this detour into politics is over and we move back into the final season arc. Side note: Is it sad that last night's surprise, barely announced move to replace Animal Practice had season-high ratings?

Modern Family "Yard Sale"
How do you fix the issue of having a cartoonishly gay character that has been turned into a walking punchline? If you are the writers of Modern Family, you add another gay character that is even more cartoonish in order to make the regular cast member seem tame by comparison. For me this resulted in hating both Cam and Alex's not gay but totally gay but they leave it vague to keep him around for future cheap jokes boyfriend Michael. This show is beginning to insult my intelligence.

Suburgatory "Ryan's Song"
Based on other reviews of this show I've read, I think I'm supposed to like Ryan more. I don't. He has a couple good jokes, but the character is normally too much for me. Overall, the show has switched from an exaggerated town full of exaggerated people to being about a bunch of characters with enormously exaggerated personalities. I like the move toward fleshing them out. I just hope they don't stop here. There's still too much Tessa and George being the only sane people. I'm fine letting them get a little more weird as long as the other characters get a little more human.

Nashville "We Live In Two Different Worlds"
I'd call this the first episode that completely fell flat for me. I don't buy Juliette having som much trouble with this nail polish thing. Up to this point, she has had a sociopathic ability to compartmentalize and do whatever it takes to get ahead. While I can see her making these mistakes, I don't for a second believe she would be so unaware of what it's doing to her career. I'm also waiting for the Scarlett story to take an even slightly unexpected turn.

The Big Bang Theory "The Extract Obliteration"
A pretty self contained episode, which makes it hard to say much about it. Funny enough, I suppose. The writers just can't help but let their worst instincts come out though. These characters either have extreme reverence of Stephen Hawking or they constantly tell the lamest jokes imaginable about him. Doing both doesn't make much sense to me. This strikes me as the writers doing what they did at the beginning of the series: write about a bunch of geeks by making fun of them and not even trying that hard to do it.

It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia "Charlie and Dee Find Love"
I think a symptom of a show that's been on this long is that every episode is going to feel familiar, like they've do it before, although different enough to not be rehashing. It's that which really tests a shows mettle. Sunny passes the test in my book, although I can't say I loved the episode. A more absurd end to the "Dinner For Schmucks" plot would've been nicer (Mac getting rich of the insider trading advice would've given them an arc to work though for a couple episodes). Charlie going back to the waitress is the ending that has to happen, but again, it feels like their could've been a bigger reveal. And, is it just me, or has the waitress gotten more attractive as the series continues?

The League "The Breastalyzer"
Alright, Rafi quota has been met. I realize that the gross-out humor is one of the marquees of the show, but it's not what I enjoy it for. I'd rather have four or more of them, sitting in a room, riffing on any topic, like the breast-feeding conversation this week. I think that's when the show is at it's strongest. Call me old fashioned, but I find actual jokes, not squirm-inducing acts funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment