Thursday, November 29, 2012

DVR Purge: 11/25-11/28

This week, I think I will try giving Thursday it's own post since that alone is seven shows. Here's Sunday through Wednesday...


The Walking Dead "When the Dead Come Walking"
What kind of shit is about to go down? The interrogation scenes were as tense and amoral as this show's going to get. The experiments with Andrea and the doctor make me think that that will be the facility's undoing. I can't wait to see  what happens next week. I'm realizing that I finally like enough of the cast to care about what happens when the shit hits the fan. Virtually everyone I secretly or not-so-secretly wanted dead is gone, so I'm rather heavily invested now.

Homeland "Two Hats"
I think this show has me exhausted. So much happens and it continually teeters on the edge of too far. I've heard this season described as a tight-rope act and that had me thinking. When you know what you are doing, the way you mess up on a tightrope is the fatigue of staying in control like that for so long. This show keeps making little slip-ups. Dana's back to being irritating this week when they should know better than that. There's the constant amazing cell-phone reception in restricted areas and bunkers. Don't forget about the sloppiness of nearly all the terrorist plans. I never thought I'd say this, but I wish they'd slow down, because the longer they keep upping or changing the stakes, the more I worry they will make an unforgivable mistake. Seriously, why don't I trust this show more?

How I Met Your Mother "12 Horny Women"
I remember a time when I cared. This was a little over the top for me. The courtroom hijinks were trying too hard and the flashback stories were too obviously fake for me to enjoy. Overall, no thanks.

Ben & Kate "Guitar Face"
I think I have a new word for this show: Stupid. That's not an attack. It's merely fitting.
The "milk pong" opening tag was stupid, but endearing.
Everything about the guitar/sex face was broad and stupid, but it gave way to some decent physical comedy.
Ben diving for golf balls and Tommy getting caught was overly-familiar and stupid as hell, but it worked well for both Echo Kellum's dry delivery and Nat Faxon's over-the-top style.
BJ getting overly into the support group was stupid, but she plays this character too well for it to not be funny.

New Girl "Eggs"
I'm torn on this episode. After a menopause episode last week, an episode about eggs makes me question the direction of this show (Maybe it's a production vs. air date issue. I don't know. Still, it's unfortunate). Then again, just about everyone was at their funniest: Nick getting to let out his inner-Hemingway. Winston getting to play irritated straight man to all the crazies. Jess getting to play manic without the pixie-dream girl. Schmidt getting to be a douche while not being a punchline. Cece getting to be indifferent, but not really. I just wish this show could maintain this quality yet not do episodes that make me shake my head at the summary line.

Go On "Back, Back, Back...It's Gone!"
Oh, the blind guy? I though he was dead or something? I think it's a good thing that they don't feel the need to use all the characters every week. That's a healthy use of an ensemble this size.

I enjoyed Ryan hitting on the volleyball players. I didn't care so much for Misty May acting. Not her fault though. It's the danger of stunt casting.I liked the pocket-dialing gag way more than I should've. I think the word I'm looking for is "tickled".
Overall, this was a really strong episode. I am having so much fun seeing how all these new shows are developing.

The Mindy Project "Teen Patient"
I know Morgan breaking the intern is cheap physical comedy, but boy, did it make me laugh. Actually, that goes for all the physical comedy this week.
Simply put, I enjoyed every bit of this episode. Mindy with high-schoolers is a wonderful mix, because she sounds like a teen half the time, but the ways that she disagrees with them are comedy gold (slime was my favorite recurring joke). They continue to calibrate her boyfriend in smart ways as well 
The office side of things was much more commonplace, but Chris Messina sold Danny's uncomfortableness so well that it didn't seem like such a stretch comically.
In the long run, the biggest surprise was how they didn't even feel the need to shoehorn Jeremy in since the plot didn't demand it. Like Go On, if they are going to maintain such a large supporting cast, I'm glad they aren't demanding that everyone play a role every week.


Modern Family "When a Tree Falls"
As soon as I heard the word "Cats" I knew we were in for a sight-gag. I couldn't find anything about the Alex/Haley funny either since every joke was so damn obvious. Manny, still the same jokes as season 1. I'm really tired of Phil, but his and Jay's story was harmless.
As always, I liked the couple jabs they gave Luke, like they "birther" joke. Surprisingly, the use of Lilly as a mirror of Cam and Mitchell got good mileage too.

Suburgatory "Friendship Fish"
If Tessa wasn't the narrator, I'd forget that she was the lead. She used to be more interesting. Now, she just reacts to everyone else's craziness. Jane Levy is really good in the show, but I get the feeling that the writers stopped working on her and let her be, something more live Dave in News Radio.

Nashville "Lovesick Blues"
Why do Rayna and Juliette hate each other? I understand indifference or irritation. This episode basically picked up where the pilot left off. Every episode since that one has been pulling them in opposite directions, which I was fine with. The problem for this episode is that there really isn't any reason for the ill-will. I guess there's Deacon. That isn't even much of an issue anymore.
As always, I'm more interested by Scarlett's story this week, although I'll admit that it's mostly because she's the one I have the biggest crush on, so to speak.
In regards to the preview for next week, for those who've watched it, what secrets? This isn't LOST. There's not a bunch of mysteries than need answer. I understand their desire to hype the winter finale, but it was like they were advertising a different show.

Past Purges:
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28

No comments:

Post a Comment