Saturday, December 1, 2012

DVR Purge 11/29-11/30

It's time for a special Thursday only purge. Of course, it is Saturday, so it's obvious I didn't rush on this. And, no, that also doesn't mean that my thoughts on the episodes are more polished. Be thankful I even spell check.


30 Rock "Mazel Tov, Dummies"
That was pretty much the way Liz's wedding had to be. Who else is super excited they didn't save this for the finale? Dennis Duffy, the Leia outfit, the return of Saul Rosenbear, Dr. Spaceman. It really had everything. It wasn't a perfect episode, but I have no desire to focus on the things that didn't work as well for me.

The Big Bang Theory "The Parking Spot Escalation"
Sheldon was shifting around naked in a car. That's about all I needed to know. Ugh. This was a surprisingly dirty episode. Who knew they'd make so much of a bikini wax? Not my favorite episode.

The Office "The Target"
It's like the writers are challenging themselves. Take away Michael Scott. Can they still make a good episode? Take away Andy. Can they still make a good episode? They are even prepping us for less Jim. Has any show ever gone through this much cast turnover? ...Ok, a bunch have (E.R. comes to mind), but it's kind of fun to watch an episode from season 1, season 5, and now to see how much it's changed. Mabye this show really is more about the office than the characters.

Parks & Recreation "Pawnee Commons"
I'm not sure there's any other show that could make something as over the top as the city of Eagleton work. And, that's what's great about Parks and Rec. Every completely absurd joke works since they've built this world so well. For my money though, the final mission of Burt Macklin was the most endearing part for me. I could watch entire episodes of April and Andy together. Those two work so well together.

Burn Notice "Down & Out"
Yay! Patton Oswalt. Is it just me or was he enjoying that way too much. This struck me as a fan of either the show or the actors getting a role. He was a pretty standard client, but if you are looking for someone to reinvent the wheel, you are watching the wrong show.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia "Frank's Back in Business"
I forget how well they build an episode sometimes. This was a great two story structure. I liked seeing Frank in his element. He's much better as a sadistic mastermind than when he's simply the most disgusting man in the world. I don't think it gets as much mileage from other people but sociopath serial-killer-y Dennis works every time for me. This wasn't the most laugh out loud funny entry of the season, but the non-comedy elements were vintage and great.

The League "The Vapora Sport"
-That was a very small universe episode. It felt like a Seinfeld episode, which isn't to say it's derivative. This was very much their own comedic voice, but it felt like equal parts "writing to get to the joke at the end" and "letting this happen as they would".
-I really wish I like JB Smooth more. He's a little much for my taste.
-When they introduced the sex dog, I didn't realize they had so many good uses for it.
-I kind of thought that was all building toward a bigger laugh at the end. Perhaps they opened up too many plot points (Example, shouldn't the treads have come into play more? or did they, and I just missed it).

Past Purges:
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28

No comments:

Post a Comment