Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Fuck the Golden Globe Nominations

I've been resisting from typing up my reaction to the Golden Globe nominations since they came out, mostly because it's the Golden Globes. For as much as I claim to dismiss the Academy Awards and the Emmys, even they hold some weight over the Globes. I have absolutely no idea how this ceremony got so big. There is so little identity to them, except, perhaps vanity. Yes, the Golden Globes are widely considered to be the most vain awards in Hollywood: the industry built on the foundation of vanity. For every commendable decision they make (Comedy and Drama categories in movies) there is an equally stupid one (Lumping supporting actors in sit-coms, dramas, TV movies, and mini-series together).


Actually, no. I started to write a breakdown of assorted thoughts about the Globe nominations. I tried to organize them in some dressed-up "the good, the bad, and the ugly" format saying what they did and didn't get right or when they were overly obviously star-fucking. The thing is there's nothing to get up in arms about.
-Ok, it's pretty obvious they gave up when picking best actor in a comedy. That's nothing new.
-Best Drama movie looks like an Academy Award list and is a bunch of outsiders looking in from an Oscars standpoint (except for the prestige musical).
-Best Animated feature doesn't bother to find out is any small studios made anything good (ParaNorman, anyone?).
-Foreign film is the only one that carries any weight since it includes Rust and Bone, The Intouchables, and Armour, which the Oscars won't, and from my understanding, it's ridiculous that not all of them will.
-Mad Men of all things was booted out to make room for The Newsroom as well as only now discovering Breaking Bad.
-How did Smash and Episodes (let me repeat that: Episodes and Smash) make it into a top 10 list of Musicals/Comedies, let alone the top 5?
-It's pretty tough to mess up lead actor in a drama series.
-They know who Louie C.K. is? Are they big fans of Pootie Tang or something?
-Thank you for nominating both the hosts (Fey and Poehler).
-Mandy Patinkin for Homeland versus Fizbo. I don't even have to explain what's wrong with that.
-Golden Globe Nominee Hayden Panetierre kind of rolls off the tongue. It fits perfectly.
-...which reminds me. Connie Britton nominations: Friday Night Lights - 0/5. Nashville - 1/1...huh?

I don't get it. This isn't to say that I will pretend like I won't watch the ceremony. Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are enough to guarantee I'll be watching, but it's not like their absence won't turn me away either.
What this all comes down do is this. Fuck the Golden Globes and the fact that I feel compelled to care even enough to bitch about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment