Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why I Watch It: How I Met Your Mother



Why I'm Watching It:
The Cast
Look, Jason Segel is one of my favorite people in TV or Movies these days. Neil Patrick Harris is like the opposite of a walking punch-line. The mere mention of his name is showered with rightful adoration. Alysson Hannigan is an impossible to hate actress who brings a charm to everything she does. Colbie Smulders is a gem of a Canadian export who I would watch (and could seen) in just about any comedy once this finally ends. Josh Radnor is too tied to Ted Mosby in my mind (more on that in a bit), but I've got no beef with him. Basically everyone is someone I would love to see in the credits of anything.

Barney Stinson
He's almost a charicature of his former self, but there are still enough shades to Barney that something he always has the potential to make me laugh. It's an iconic role that NPH has obviously loved every second of. Would anyone else object to a Frasier-style spin-off in which he goes to live with his brother and his family? He's the only character I'd still care to follow.

Seasons 1-4
I came back into the show around the fourth season after dropping it during the first for some reason and loved it. The first few seasons were experimental and really funny. They had a bunch of really great characters, telling stories in ways I hadn't seen before. It reveled in its own mythology which made it unique for a comedy, especially for CBS. I want to believe that the show can jump right back into the strengths which made it so good when it started.

The Mother
It's been - what - seven seasons. I've put in my time. I'll be damned if I give up now. I don't care if it is pure stubborness, but I'm going down with this ship even if I hate every second of it (which, I should note, I don't. There's still at least one thing a week that I like about an episode).

Why I Wish I Wasn't:
Ted
No one likes Ted. Even the people who sort-of defended him early on have given up. The show even tried playing on how awful Ted is for a while. Unfortunately, that just made people dislike him more. It's odd, because, as an integral part of the title, he's the only character that we need to still like by the end of the series and he's the only one that people hate. I kind of actively hope he doesn't meet the mother by the end and dies a sad, old man, talking to his imaginary children.

Season 5-Present
You know all those fresh, clever new things the show did in the first few seasons? Well, five seasons in, it starts to get old. And that mythology they were building, it kind of collapsed on itself with hype they couldn't live up to (See: The goat) and it is now constantly hampered by what they've already revealed (i.e. Marshall can't do this when they've already told us he'll do that). The freedom the show worked with in its early days in now suffocating it.

The Mother
Almost everything that's wrong with the show can be traced  back to the infamous mother. I still don't know why they decided they can't introduce the mother until the end of show. A lot of shows add a new regular midways through. Why can't they? Wouldn't introducing the mother make Ted more likeable? I'm just saying, I wish they'd introduce her just so I can put a face to the hate.

Verdict:
What? Like I'm gonna get this far and stop? Besides, if they can still have episodes even as good as last night's ("Lobster Crawl"), then it's worth watching.


Past Justifications:
Modern Family

No comments:

Post a Comment