Monday, December 17, 2012

DVR Purge: 12/16 Dexter and Homeland

Time to work through the rest of the season of Dexter in binge fashion. Might as well throw in Homeland too. I can't promise that I'll have much to say. So much to process...so much.

I just want to say, these are reactions to each individual episode, not after watching them all. I did change it from scattered thoughts to complete sentences afterwards though.
 
Dexter "Helter Skelter"
-I have to say, I am completely shocked they killed off Isaac so soon. I didn't see him as the typical "big bad" but even still, then normally last until the last episode or two.
-Does all Deb's disappointment in Dexter mean they are going to drop the "she's in love with him" stuff? I sure hope so.
-Raise your hand if you thought Hannah being help hostage would last longer than an episode. They are burning through some plot here. Reminds me of Homeland.

Dexter "The Dark...Whatever"
-They sure trivialized the "dark passenger" pretty quick and effectively. Doesn't that make Dexter more of a villain? Are they aware of that? If so, this is a fun, new direction.
-OK, with Isaac gone, I really expected this arsonist would last a little longer. What the hell will they have left by the finale?
-I am really surprised that LaGuerta is getting so far in her investigation. This is a little too close to Dexter for comfort.
-There was no way the dad was going to the end. A week after the pond-drowning story. Yeah, he was a sure goner.

Dexter "Do You See  What I See?"
-Logically, I knew Yvonne Strahovski wasn't going to last past this season. I really like her though and I wish there was a way she could work with the rest of the show, long-term. I was surprised how engaging the scene was when Dexter was interrogating her. She's a better actress than I give her credit for.

-So, Hannah's gone. Arsonist is gone. Isaac is gone. The only thing left is to have him duke it out with LaGuerta, right?


Dexter "Surprise, Motherfucker"
The only two words that come to mind are "holy" and "shit". That was one tense as hell hour. The scene when LaGuerta plays the gas station video for Deb is Dexter at it's finest. I was physically uncomfortable watching that. I didn't know a scene without Dexter could be that good. Michael C. Hall is so often asked to carry the show that I forget that there is other talent in the cast.
Had I been given more time to stew on it, I would've accepted the inevitability of LaGuerta dying and maybe I would've entertained the idea that Deb would no about it, but I never would've guessed they'd go as far as to have Deb pulling the trigger. That was a visceral, emotional moment that I'm still trying to process. I can't believe the show went there. After the handling of season 2, I was on the edge of my seat, fearing they would contrive a way out (especially with Hannah unaccounted for).
In truth, I feel pretty stupid to not see that this is where the season was going. Hannah was a great reexamination of Dexter's psyche. Isaac was an interesting villain. The minotaur-man and arsonist were both clever and inventive. But, they were all distractions. This season was about Deb knowing about Dexter and how she handles that. Could she come to terms with what he is? Does she accept it or, better yet, would she exploit it? When is it too much? How deep is her bond with him? We've seen time and time again that Deb is the only person Dexter genuinely cares about without question. What this season showed us is the reverse of that: where does Deb stand? As it turns out, she doesn't need blood to tie them together. They are family and that trumps everything else.
In the matter of a season, Dexter has gone from a complete joke to a show that I am honestly counting the days until it returns. While it wasn't a perfect season, the fact that it changed my opinion of it so drastically is pretty damn impressive.




Homeland "The Choice"
Something had to happen. Ignoring the long run-time of the episode and any previews I may have seen leading up to it. Something had to happen. This is Homeland after all: a show that could never be confused as subtle or quiet. Something had to happen. The only question was, "how big?"
As I should've expected, the answer was "really fucking big".
It was all too quiet. Too neat. Saul is in the clear. Estes was neutered. Carrie and Brody were free. Jess and Mike had Brody's blessing. Dana knew the truth about her father and Chris was never going to be late to karate practice ever again. Something had to happen. Then it did.
I will wait until the season 3 premiere before I start worrying about the logistics of Abu Nazir's masterplan. I'm certain there are holes to be found in it. That's as much a staple of Homeland as the superb acting. The fallout from the bomb was a cluster-fuck of epiphanies and great moments. Carrie immediately assuming Brody was behind the attack, then falling apart as she realizes she's committed to him. Jess almost embracing the "truth" about who Brody really is when his tape is revealed. Dana limply trying to defend her father after confirming what she already knew all along. Saul...oh boy. Let's just say, the image of him at the end of the episode, the pain and the joy, wordlessly expressed was something to behold.
No, this episode doesn't forgive the missteps throughout the season. Homeland is still the television equivalent of that girlfriend who drives you crazy, but the sex is the best you've ever had. At the end of the day, the moments are what stick with you, not the whole story. I will happily put up with all the inconsistent stories as long as it produces such wonderful and moving moments with the character.
Dammit, Homeland. You win!

The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
12/9-12/15 (Dexter and Homeland)
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28


No comments:

Post a Comment