Saturday, December 22, 2012

DVR Purge: 12/17-12/21

A lot of two-parters this week. I'm going to combine them, because, well, I want to.


How I Met Your Mother "The Final Page"
-Peter Gallheger and Seth Green alert. It's a shame they weren't used more interestingly.
-I like that Ted still loved the professor's lecture even though the professor rather actively disliked him.
-The bottom-of-a-well metaphor was pretty weakly used. The well person was described as someone you can't let go of (the Professor, or Seth Green would put Marshall and Lilly in his), then it was for someone you hate, I think (Patrice). I just think it was bent to the will of the episode rather than well thought out (pun intended).
-I guess I liked the engagement, although, The Robin was convoluted and without nuance. I get that the over-the-top-ness of it was the point, but again, I feel the show used to work with the mythology and now it's bending it to fit the story.
-Had they not completely ruined the first go at Robin and Barney, I'd be completely stoked for the ending. As is, like Victoria's return, it seems more like damage control than anything.

Happy Endings "No-Ho-Ho"
Another episode that is completely ridiculous in every way.
-Alex's wrapping paper fetish was fitting and hilarious.
-Still getting the image of Max pouring eggnog and liquor into his mouth simultaneously out of my head.
-I like that "big ass candle" was a consistent description of the gift.
-I am really curious, is this the first year of the Christmas baby rampage or is this an annual thing.
-Hip-hop Santa tag = delightful.

Burn Notice "You Can Run"
It was inevitable even with all the recaps at the beginning of episodes and seasons. After six years, I am completely lost. How did we get here? What is here? How is Michael not the bad guy or at least a bad guy? I'm dangerously close to giving up on Burn Notice because it is succeeding at something I previously thought impossible: it is wheel spinning while also developing the story faster than I can keep up with. 

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia "Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense"
This was not as consistently great as last season, but it was more impressive. This is the first year that there was common through-line which was one of continuity. Virtually every episode seemed to have something to do with a previous episode, in cases like Charlie's Mom Has Cancer and The Gang Recycled Their Trash, they quite literally called back classic episodes. I, personally don't see this as them running out of ideas just as I never saw Fat Mac as a cheap gag. I think Sunny never has earned the respect it deserves, which is a shame.
Got side-tracked there. On to this episode: I don't know of another show that can do a bottle episode quite so well. That's because this show works best when it's those five, in a room, arguing. It's always seamless, always ridiculous, and always hilarious.

The League "A Krampus Carol/The Curse of Shiva"
This season ended a lot stronger than last year. They continue to impress me with the number of guest stars they get, which really shouldn't surprise me considering how ubiquitous that cast is.
Both episodes came together more solidly than in the past couple weeks, with fewer dropped jokes and disappearing storylines.
It's always fun seeing Rafi and Taco interact because few shows have two characters like that. There's normally a Dwight or a Barney. The League has two of them which opens a lot of possibilities.
A season wouldn't be complete without a last appearance by the Shiva in the flesh,



The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28


No comments:

Post a Comment