Thursday, November 22, 2012

DVR Purge 11/17-11/20


The Walking Dead "Hounded"
It's about times the stories collide. All this is starting to feel like The Others on LOST though. I'm curious what they are building toward. All signs point to a showdown between the Governor and the prison group, which will be interesting because so far, all the fighting has been against zombies or the worst of people. Most of the Governor's facility are good people with a corrupt leader. We'll see how this goes.
-I pray to god that Andrea is playing the Governor, because otherwise everything about this episode was awful. She can't be this trusting of the Governor already and the whole exchange about liking the fights was anything but subtle writing.
-How big is this prison? It feels like it's barely been searched at all. I don't know if that's plausible or not.

Homeland "I'll Fly Away"
Ok, Morgan Saylor can act. Let's see, Claire Danes, Damian Lewis, Mandy Patinkin, Morena Baccarin, and now Morgan Saylor on my list of reasons why this show is compelling as hell despite really questionable writing at times. I'm not actually sure if the helicopter scene of Dana talking to the dead lady's daughter had me more tense.

How I Met Your Mother "The Stamp Tramp"
I didn't hate this. At this point, I consider that a big success for the show. Barney's free agency was pretty enjoyable even if it was pretty slight. I also enjoy whenever they decide to focus on how awful Ted is.

Ben & Kate "Reunion"
I love this show. The chemistry on this shows is so natural. Nat Faxon plays off the kid amazingly. Him reading her report is so endearing even as over the top as it was. Additionally, I'm always up for Amber Stevens in anything even if she was pretty lamely used.

New Girl "Parents"
-The gay kiss. Always treated like it's comedic gold but always strained in it's execution. I think I've finally figured Winston out. He's never going to fit with the rest of the group naturally because he's best when reacting to everyone.
-Rob Riggle is almost always too much for me. In some cases, that's his appeal. This was not one of those times.
-Nick and Jess' Dad talking is my new favorite thing. It never occurred to me that the best thing for Nick's old man persona was to play off an old man.

Happy Endings "More Like Stanksgiving"The Real World angle is certainly one of the cleverest ways to do a flashback episode and leaves so much potential for future call-backs. I mean, that was only one disk of the season.

Go On "Dinner Takes All"
Lauren Graham...so I loved it, regardless of other content. The episode itself was perfectly fine though. I haven't done the math and I may have missed an episode or two that addressed this, but did the support group get smaller? I think the cast is down to 11. Still too big, but it doesn't seem unmanageable. Also, did they say Carrie was from Kentucky? She doesn't seem hillbilly at all.

The Mindy Project "Thanksgiving"
-I so totally hate that opening music. Even 10 seconds of it is too much.
-I admire the attempt to shakeup the groupings.  Betsy and Jeremy didn't do it much for me. Maybe a back story that wasn't exactly what I expected would've worked better.
-Mindy, Morgan, and Gwen was an interesting grouping. I like Morgan despite the familiarity of that character type. He plays that guy can become anyone's friend well. It was good to finally see why they keep Gwen around. I think I even like that boyfriend of Mindy's. His douchiness kind of works for me.
-Most of all, I liked Danny being by himself. I could relate to it well and I'm glad they didn't force it into some sort of odd couple pairing. He chose to be alone, liked it, but also briefly felt lonely. Nicely done.

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 "It's a Miracle"
I'm beginning to think they don't have a single sociopath on the writing staff. I'm serious. Chloe is all shock and no pathos. The same goes for Midwesterners on staff. They write June like she was literally kept in a bubble all her life. I'd like them to dabble in reversal of the master/apprentice this those two have going.

Past Purges:
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28

No comments:

Post a Comment