Saturday, September 29, 2012

DVR Purge 9/22-9/28

Welcome to the introductory DVR Purge. As I said, the form of this will change as I figure out how this works best. For now, I'm thinking of giving a quick reaction on most things with one weekly spotlight show, chosen arbitrarily.

This week's spotlight is not about a specific show. It's more of an overview of new shows. Sorry, it got a little long.
Spotlight: TV Show Concepts


How I Met Your Mother "Farhampton"
The end is near. At least it feels that way. Everyone is phoning it in at this point. I would trade their narrative tricks for an episode that has the gang letting loose and having fun. This episode didn't overtly frustrate me, so I'm calling it a win.

Partners "Pilot"
There is a version of this show I would love to watch. Sadly, the pilot is outright homophobic and can't get past cheap wordplay and a barrage of the most generic gay jokes this side of a grade school playground. Honestly, it made me angry to watch.

The New Girl "Re-Launch"
I wonder when/if that show will make that last jump into being a top tier comedy. The premiere paralleled the pilot with Jess being depressed and really highlights the growth of the rest of the cast that it wasn't completely dominated by it. I'm glad seeing they know how to make Winston funny. I just wish they could make him fit with the rest of the show.

Ben and Kate "Pilot"
I don't know how I feel about this cast and as much as I like the kid, I feel like she could become a liability down the line. This is the most ready-made new show I've seen

The New Girl "Katie"
The Jess plot was annoyingly contrived. No way around that. I hate stories built on needless misunderstandings that one short conversation could fix unless the jokes from it far outweigh the negatives. They didn't. Nick thinking he met his future self is not one I enjoyed much either. They should've taken it much further or not as far as they did.

The Mindy Project "Pilot"
I'm curious to see if every episode will actually have the look of a RomCom. It looked really polished for a TV show. I wasn't in love with the pilot episode. The show has an embarrassment of talented people behind it, so, without hesitation, I'll give it the whole season to mature before I consider stopping it.

Go On "Bench-Clearing Brawl"
I've seen 3 or 4 episodes so far. It's harmless in a way that makes it easy to watch hard to care. It will be dropped when Happy Endings takes up that DVR real estate. There are too many characters I don't like much and no signs of needed depth. Most importantly, they are without the kind of zingers that keep me watching.

Tosh.0
Can you really say there's a good or bad episode of this? You either like it or hate it. I, like it. For a return from hiatus episode, I expected a little more polish to it.

The Middle "The Last Whiff of Summer"
I commend the attempt to explain the summer. This mostly felt needlessly long. All the standard beats were there, meaning, I didn't love the episode, but I far from hated it. It's all about waiting until they have another episode like the one with the funeral last year.

Modern Family "Bringing Up Baby"
This kind of Modern Family is the kind I love to watch. The sight gags and punchlines were all earned and nothing felt like they were adding it only to hit a comedic beat. The jump forward to the end of the summer was one of the best handled time jumps I've seen. Hopefully this is a return to the season 1 form.

Key & Peele Season 2: Episode 1

SNL Weekend Update
I still don't get how these are Weekend Updates...on Thursday. I like Jay Pharaoh's Obama a lot more than Armisen's. I think watching this hits my weekly politics quotient leading up to the election...and even then, it's a little more than I'd like.
 
The Big Bang Theory "The Date Night Variable"
Pretty slight for a season premiere. Is it possible that it didn't have enough of any character? Oh, except Raj. That was too much of him and I'm kind of confused by him setting up the man-date at the end. Was that just for a punchline or is that setting something up for the season? No sure. We'll see.

Up All Night "Home/Office"
I think I like the retooling they've done for this season. My issue with this show has always been that, as much as I like the characters, The Ava Show has always been a drag. I'm curious to see how it is going further. It has potential to make "the jump".

The Office "Roy's Wedding"
Wow, Clark is an asshole. Overall, I think I've come to terms with what the Office is now and I enjoyed this episode a good deal. Nellie and Dwight could be a pairing I really enjoy seeing. As far as Jim and Pam are concerned, I really hope what they are building to pays off. Right now, their storyline is a drag.

Parks and Rec. "Soda Tax"
Initially, at least, this was a weaker episode, which is still better than almost anything I've seen this week. Lonely Chris is getting a little tiring as is someone telling April she needs to live up to her potential. The opening and closing tags made me laugh hard though, and any time Ron and Leslie have a meaningful talk is something special, so I chalking any concerns I have to easing into the new status-quo. Love this show!

Louie "New Year's Eve"
I've never been all that hot on Louie finales. This one is no exception. This opening story about the Christmas gifts was one of the highlights of the season for me. The return of Parker Posey was enjoyably macabre and fits the show perfectly. I can't say I care much for the China bit. It would've been just as well had he gone and sat in a back table at the Comedy Cellar watching an open-mic night or something. Overall, a wonderful, wonderful season though,


No comments:

Post a Comment