Sunday, September 23, 2012

Movie Reaction: The Master

Formula:  There Will Be Blood - Oil + Religion


Cast: Wow, Joaquin Phoenix was uncomfortable to watch. This, of course, is said with reverence and respect. Paul Thomas Anderson has a way of pulling out great performances out of actors and this is no exception. Philip Seymour Hoffman does a great job playing the imposing patriarch. I've always liked him, but most of the roles I've seen him in recently have had him as a gruff, tired type. This was a nice shift. Amy Adams was really good as well. Jesse Plemons was greatly underused. Then again, I'm always happy to see him working. Really, this was an actors' showcase and it didn't disappoint. Any kind of awards attention they get will be completely worthy.

Plot: Oy. I left the movie wondering "what's the point?". There was a lot of build, and everything was well shot and enjoyable to watch. Much like "There Will Be Blood", when the ending finally came, I didn't understand what it was all for. At least "There Will Be Blood" had milkshakes. This, sort of ended. The last half hour could've ended with any scene and left me feeling the same way. I have trouble calling that great.

Elephant in the Room: Isn't this about Scientology? Kinda sorta. Sure, I guess it is. I won't say it hits you over the head with the commentary on that. It's about a "cult" leader and those that follow him. Almost any non-batshit crazy cult is going to be similar to Scientology. Watch it for the acting and the plot, not the vague commentary on Scientology.

To Sum Things Up:
It's worth seeing because it is well made. This movie will be to 2012 what The Tree of Life was to 2011. There's undeniable value to it and great film-making on display, but there are parts that will be received wildly differently. For me, I thought it was incomplete. A number of people will probably tell me it's supposed to be like that, then look at me like a child for not being able to understand that. Then again, I'll look at them as pretentious asses who think that just because something is dense, it's good. It is certainly worthy to be in discussion for things at year's end, but certainly was not my taste. Still, better than most of the movies I've seen lately. 

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment