Sunday, September 16, 2012

Movie Reaction: ParaNorman

Formula: Ghost Town + The Gooinies


[Voice] Cast: I didn't know any of the voices going in, so I had fun figuring that out as I went along. They found pretty good voice matches for most of the characters. My personal favorite touch was, I believe Jeff Garlin and Jon Goodman play brothers. I'd believe that in real life.

Plot: I was very reminded of when I saw Hugo when I watched this. That's high praise, mind you. The first half of the movie was a pretty standard kid's movie. Then, in the second act, it kicked it up a gear, to the point that I wondered if this was even meant for kids at all. Parts are so harrowing I wonder how a kid would even respond to it and the movie's treatment of death is pretty intense, for any age. It really impressed me.

Animation: I'm not a huge fan of this style overall, but there are some moments when this movie looks visually stunning. I can't even imagine what this would be like in 3D. It certainly didn't need it. By the end, I even grew to kind of like the look.

Elephant in the Room: If you waited this long to see it, you obviously weren't all that excited to see it. I really wasn't. I read a surprisingly positive review of this by a reviewer I trust, but even still, it took several weeks of weak releases and a lot of slow nights for me to see it. So glad I did though.

To Sum Things Up:
I doubt I can convince anyone of this, but I recommend this movie for anyone. It is surprisingly enjoyable. The plot deals with pretty heavy issues and treats them with a lot of delicacy. There's even a number of laugh out loud moments too. This is the kind of movie I always hope to stumble upon by doing this weekly movie thing.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment