Saturday, November 10, 2012

DVR Purge 11/4 - 11/10



The Walking Dead "Killer Within"
On one hand, I'm glad that they've avoided the wheel-spinning that plagued the middle of last season by keeping the action  cranked up. On the other hand, I kind of feel like they are just avoided that problematic character-building stuff by keeping the action dialed up.

Homeland "A Gettysburg Address"
All this Dana murder coverup stuff is veering dangerously close into Friday Night Lights season 2 territory. I know I said I'd stuff questioning Homeland, but there was never any chance that was ever going to happen. Consider me on alert.

How I Met Your Mother "The Autumn of Break-Ups"
Seriously? When will the damage caused by Sandy be done? Yeah, missed this due to DVR fuck-up. I've heard that my DVR may have done me a favor though.

The Middle The Safe"
When Brick and Sue destroyed the wall with the safe, I was reminded of how great this show does call-backs. There's no faster way to my approval than keeping a good historian. And, using Jane Kazmerek is a cheap way to earn my affection.

Modern Family "Arrested"
Good. Haley's back. Do I expect that to improve the show dramatically? Not for everyone. Honestly, if that's all I have to say about the episode, at this point in the series, I'm calling that a win. I always enjoy a good Luke/Lilly feud callback.

Suburgatory "Foam Finger"
There's a couple good jokes in this, mostly having to do with the KKK and that amazing tag at the end, but the eponymous Dallas material made this one sort of a stinker for me.

Nashville "Move It On Over"
This week's episode got my highly divided attention, so part of my boredom from this one has to do with that. The election stuff is responsible for the rest. I hope the writers realize that the music stuff is what keeps it interesting, not the mayoral race.

Big Bang Theory "The Habitation Configuration"
-Come Emmys time, I tend to be irritated because Jim Parsons always pulls a win by using it as his submission episode, but any episode with drunk Sheldon is one of the better ones.
 -Was Will Wheaton wearing a Guild shirt or am I imagining things?
-I notice that they've given up on 1) Penny's acting career and 2) the thought of her ever getting out of The Cheesecake Factory. I guess building a new set is too expensive.

The Office "The Boat"
It still has a lot of flaws, but I found this episode to be really funny. The phone interview stuff was way over the top but excellently executed and everyone's fake voices were quite funny (as was Darrel's disapproval of Jim's choice of voices).

Parks & Recreation "Ben's Parents"
-How have I never before thought who would win: Ron Effing Swanson or "Mike the Cleaner"? Jonathan Banks needs to come back just so I can see him and Nick Offerman interact in any way.
-I don't know about you, but I rewatched everyone turning on Ben when they say not to hurt Leslie several times before I could watch more of the episode.

Burn Notice "Desperate Measures"
Seriously, my DVR and me need to sit down and have a talk. I didn't catch that it wasn't recording Burn Notice until the second episode began. Gee, I hope USA shows it again sometime this week.


Burn Notice "Means & Ends"
Luckily, Burn Notice is one of the most context-free shows I watch. It being season 6, they've hit that maturation where every case of the week involves previously introduced characters. Fi not far removed from jail is the only reason I remembered her prison buddy who has a creepily well-behaved son.
-Coby Bell cannot pull off gangster. I forgive a lot of bad accents and flimsy disguises but that is one hat that no one in the group can wear (in this case, literally).

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia "The Gang Gets Analyzed"
At first I was worried this would be another flashback narrative like "Who Got Dee Pregnant". Instead we got this gem of an episode. I don't think this show gets enough credit for how diverse it's episode catalog is. Sure, it's always them being horrible people, but they've fought off disappointing returns after nearly 100 episodes by taking a cue from Community and breaking from formula whenever possible.
-Favorite joke: Mac asking if Dee's therapist keeps a pen on her table because it looks like a dick.

The League "Judge MacArthur"
I'll admit, I probably wouldn't continue to watch this show if it wasn't in a set with It's Always Sunny. It's too inconsistent and employs a "get the joke at all costs" approach that doesn't work as consistently as it needs too and every episode plays like they though of the end and built everything before it to fit. That said, the Ruxin getting stupider throughout the episode was funny even if it didn't make much sense for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment