Tuesday, February 5, 2013

DVR Purge 1/30-2/4


The one down side to keeping up with these purges so long means that I'm feeling more and more pressure not to get behind on them even though I realize no one will call me on it. I feel like I'm doing something wrong when on the same week my beloved 30 Rock ends, which should open up some time, I pick up the hour-long The Americans series even though Community and The Walking Dead are about to come back. I either hate myself or love TV...perhaps both.

Does anyone else really hate this picture? Russell looks uncofortable and Rhys looks forgotten

Go On "Pass Interference"
Didn't realize they had a new episode last Tuesday. Oh well. Piper Perabo is back and I still don't like her presence. I don't on the other hand like Lauren's one-sided rivalry (Is that the first they mentioned her?) as well as them showing that she has another group. Still, more than anything, I'm continually bothered by how many people are wasted because of this large cast.

Happy Endings "Our Best Friend's Wedding"
Of the two episodes last Tuesday, I liked this one less, although this show is on a different tier than most others, so it was still pretty damn good. I think my favorite part was Jane being kicked out of the wedding show.

Suburgatory "Yakult Leader"
Boy do I not like Yoni. A human Dalia is great though. Can we all agree that the Shay's have 'Urkeled' this show?

The Americans "Pilot"
I don't know what this show will be but I'm totally on board to find out. I sure do like Keri Russell a lot for an actress whose shows I've never watched and filmography I've barely followed. Still, I want her to succeed. Could this all stem from a single small role in an episode of Boy Meets World?

The Big Bang Theory "The Cooper/Kripke Inversion"
I'm pretty shocked by the self-awareness of Sheldon's sex conversation in the living room. Big Bang surprises me a lot from time to time. At the same time, I'd really like to watch a version of this show where I didn't pity the characters.

30 Rock "Hogcock!/Last Lunch"
I kind of covered my series retrospective thoughts here. The finale itself was about everything I could hope for and managed to cap off a pretty remarkable final season. I will miss it, and from the sounds of it, Harmon-less Community will be a poor substitute.

The Office "Junior Salesman/Vandalism"
One thing has kept me watching The Office even when I didn't so much care for what they were doing or how they were doing it and that was that they didn't fuck up Jim and Pam. It took them three seasons to get together, but since then they have been a sacred cow of sorts. I don't know what their end game is with everything going on but after seeing how wonderfully 30 Rock ended, it is frustrating to see The Office opening up storylines rather than closing them.

Archer "Legs"
Can animated series have bottle episodes? In terms of production motivations, I guess not, but in scope, sure. I have no complaints though.

How I Met Your Mother "P.S. I Love You"
(+) I like Abby Elliot and miss her on SNL (did she mean to come off so Drew Barrymore-like in this role?)
(+) Robin Sparkles, as a rule, elevates any episode.
(+) Any new psuedomath, reminiscent to the Crazy/Hot scale is welcome and still one of the things they do best.
(-) Too many Canada jokes wear on me over time and this crossed a threshold.
(-) As long as we are talking about psuedomath, Elliot's character passes the Stella line and approaching Zoey territory. This promise of one last big mistake better pay-off because her character will quickly wear-out her welcome.



The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
1/24-1/29
1/22-1/23
1/19-1/21
1/17-1/18
1/10-1/16
1/8-1/9
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28


No comments:

Post a Comment