Wednesday, February 13, 2013

50 Years of Oscar Inconsistency: The Math

Hells yeah! The numbers time. As I already said in the introduction, I know that no one cares about how I've compiled my list of Oscar snubs, but I've wasted so much time on this project, that I need the amount of generated content to justify it.

So, this is how I figured my Oscar self-snubs.


The most "valuable" nominations (i.e. Nominations that the best Picture winner also has) are as follows...
  • Directing (49 of the last 50 winners)
  • Screenplay (48 of 50)
  • Editing (44 of 50)
  • Lead Acting (41 of 50)
  • Supporting Acting (36 of 50)
  • Score (30 of 50)
  • Sound Mixing (33 of 50)
  • Cinematography (33 of 50)
  • Production Design (27 of 50) - Called Art Direction until this past year
  • Costume (24 of 50)
  • Makeup (10 of 30) - Became a competitive category in 1982
  • Sound Editing (6 of 30) - Became a competitive category in 1982
  • Song (6 of 50)
  •  Visual Effects (4 of 35) - Became a competitive category in 1982
Additionally, multiples of any nomination (Lead or Supporting Actor/Actress or Song) halves in value with each additional nomination.

In case you are confused, that means a Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and Song nomination is still not as valuable as a Directing nomination, for example. See, it's not all that complex. Most of the time spent was in compiling the data.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for spreadsheets! I often wonder what it would be like to parse through the Academy's database (or Billboard and other ranking organizations).

    ReplyDelete