Sunday, February 17, 2013

Movie Reaction: Amour

Formula: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel + soul-crushing sadness

It's basically impossible to find a different picture for this movie unless it's the opposite view.

Why I Saw This: I'd seen the other 8 best picture nominees and I'm not about to leave a list incomplete. And there's all those stellar reviews.

Cast: I won't pretend that I was familiar with Jean-Louis Trintignant or Emmanuelle Riva  before today. That's on me. Both of them were absolutely superb in this film, which should surprise no one based on every review this has received. In a weaker year, I could easily see Trintignant getting a best actor nomination along with Riva's.

Plot: This is about the slow decline of an elderly woman and her husband who takes care of her. It's full of all sorts of symbolism and it's doesn't follow a Hollywood structure. It starts with the ending and spends the rest of the movie getting you there. It is really a character study more than plot driven, so there isn't much to say here.

Elephant in the Room: This is one of those sad movies, isn't it? Short answer: Yes. When the movie ends, the theater is silent. No one knows what they are allowed to do (can we speak? can we leave?). It isn't one of those Hollywood sad movies though where it's a build to one big moment. It is a constant sadness. The end is almost a release. Just know that this is not a date movie or something. It is an uncompromising drama.

To Sum Things Up:
Look, this movie is not in my sweet spot. Straight drama and character-driven are not trademarks of my favorite movies. Throw that in with it being foreign (because, yes, I admit that I am not crazy about subtitles because they distract me) and it won't be topping my lists. This is undeniably a good movie though and if you watch it, you're guaranteed to feel something (likely to be tears).

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment