Tuesday, February 12, 2013

DVR Purge: 2/9-2/11

I actually saw SNL within a day or two of it coming on! I don't think I've done that all year. How is that? It's not like my Sundays are ever busy or anything. Maybe I'm bucking a trend, starting this week. Probably not, though.


SNL "Justin Bieber"
There are largely 2 types of guest hosting on SNL: Babysitting and joining the cast for a week. The latter are the good kind. Bieber, despite willingness to address a lot of jokes about him (See: Ellen), was outclassed in every sketch. Seriously, I give him a lot of credit for trying, but I hope he doesn't come back until he's a little more seasoned at this sort of thing, like Justin Timberlake (who would've been equally as bad at Bieber's age). Also, a fewer "aren't I funny" smirks would've been nice.

The Walking Dead "The Suicide King"
Oh boy. Crazy Rick is going to get old, fast (Hint: it already has). With no Darryl, the core group sure feels small. I'm not sure how I feel about this newest group of Others joining. I'm guessing the father/son won't last, be it through betrayal or zombie death (or both) and the token will last for a while (specifically T-Dog 2.0. The woman is probably a goner since they already have Michonne).
-In short: my season 3, part 2 wishlist: Darryl comes back, without Merle. Maggie and Glenn stop being emo. Carl keeps being awesome (never thought I'd say that). Rick and The Governor get in a fist-fight.

Shameless "The Helpful Gallaghers"
This season (so far) seems more intent on being a comedy. The serious stuff has a lot less edge and the comedy is way more prevalent. I can't say which version of the show I like better. I can say the heartbreaking episodes affect me a lot longer than the funniest ones, so, there's that. I don't know what the angle for the cancer story is, but they sure are good at mining it for "should I laugh at that" moments.

House of Lies "Damonschildren.org"
The celebrity playing a sociopath version of himself thing has become a pretty frequent trope these days. I loved when NPH did it for Harold & Kumar. I thought Entourage had a lot of good uses of it, notably, Bob Saget (though that's hardly against type for him anymore). I even find it affable when someone joins a seriese playing himself, like Matt Le Blanc in Episodes or James van der Beek in Don't Trust the B. I think that right now if when I've hit my limit. This was too much or something. Everything about Matt Damon rubbed me the wrong way, and not the wrong way that he was meant to. There's a very real chance that this more the result of me really not liking this show at all and it is a doomed prospect going in.

Californication "Hello Bent for Leather"
Some episodes (see: most), while they fall under a larger narrative feel like they could've been done in any season. This was one of them. I like Marcy, generally speaking, because I like Pamela Adlon, but the direction of this storyline is shaping up to be one of those where I don't think this show has the needed restraint for this not to annoy me before it's run its course.

How I Met Your Mother "Bad Crazy"
They kind of covered all I needed from Jeanette last week. I'm hoping the payoff for the relationship going up in flames is worth it. I did quite enjoy the idea that Ted's place is Marshall and Barney's getaway. The whole Mike Tyson thing was a step too far for me.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/5-2/8
1/30-2/4
1/24-1/29
1/22-1/23
1/19-1/21
1/17-1/18
1/10-1/16
1/8-1/9
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28


No comments:

Post a Comment