Thursday, January 17, 2013

DVR Purge: 1/10-1/16

Shit, I'm officially at break point. Some shows have got to start ending soon. I learned a valuable lesson about letting shows the recordings stack up on my DVR. Getting caught up was brutal. As brutal as sitting for 5 hours straight in a heated apartment, on a cushioned seat, eating snacks and watching TV could be.


30 Rock "Game Over"
This season is coming together so nicely. Everyone is being given his or her due. Kailey, Dr. Spacemen, Hank Hooper, Lenny Wosniak, and Devon Banks are all here, some for goodbyes, others to catty on to the end. I like how Tracy goes full circleby dealing with his own Tracy Morgan. Liz also seems finally ready to adopt a kid, which I always thought would be the end game to that. This series is setting up for a beautifully.

The Big Bang Theory "The Bakersfield Expedition"
On one hand, the girls arguingin about Thor's hammer was pretty funny. On the other hand, everything at the comic book store is completely mean-spirited and short-sighted considering that all the girls have been to the comic book store several times and that outdoor set is one of the laziest I've seen in a long time, especially for the highest rated sitcom on TV.

The Office "Lice"
Is there anyone on the show who doesn't seem exhausted? It is limping to the finish like and I don't know of any storylines that are going in direction I support.

Shameless "El Gran Canon"
I'm very happy to have Shameless back. Honestly, I'm holding off on a lot of judgment because this week was about catching up and setting up for the rest of the season. I do get the feeling that the Frank stories sound a lot funnier in the writers room than when they are actually produced.

Californication "The Unforgiven"
Ok, the show is really tired of itself and the plots are following a pretty predictable pattern. I get that. But, I watch it for tasteless jokes, nudity, and David Duchovny, so, I don't mind.

Happy Endings "Kickball 2: The Kickening"
The kickball theme was really fun. I was really happy to see the Jane vs. everyone else match was not the climax and that Jane totally turned on her team to be with her friends.

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 "Mean Girls..."
Wiat, is this another burn-off from season 1? Did I really do all this catching up (even though I said I was done) to still see leftover shows. I guess since I'm so convinced that it's getting the axe at season's end, so I'll carry on till then.
-Is it weird that I want the pervert in the window to actually be more of a pervert? I continue to wonder what this show would look like on pay cable.
-It's a crying shame that Liza Lapira wasn't continued as a series regular.

How I Met Your Mother "Band or DJ?"
Ugh. I hate that I still get a little sucked in by the fact that it looks like they are really going to introduce the mother at the end of the season (also, I'm always happy to see Rachel Bilson). I'm setting myself up for failure. Right? Oh, and are we really circling the "Ted loves Robin" story again? Really?!

Ben & Kate "Girl Problems"
Oh good, Brittany Snow is back. Yay! I liked BJ repeatedly insisting that she had a life outside of the show. It's a funny little meta-gag. The rest of the episode was more 'miss' than 'hit'.

New Girl "A Father's Love"
What the hell? Schmidt and Robby are an amazing team! Those two playing off each other was marvelous. Nick and his dad, while interesting as an origin story didn't do much for me.

Happy Endings "The X Factor"
Mark-Paul Gosselaar alert! Penny hanging out with her boyfriend's (Andrew's?) friends was absolutely hilarious. It reminded me of Elaine hanging out with the bizarro-Jerry and company, except with an added layer of meta. It was brilliant!

Go On "Gooooaaaallll Doll!"
-Another show with in-episode commentary. This is an odd theme this week. It's all pretty funny.
-This episode is getting so much better. The 9pm timeslot is getting so good.

The Mindy Project "Bunk Bed"
Most of the show is still figuring itself out still, but in the meantime, they should just stuff the episodes with Mindy talking to teens, tween, or little kids. That is one of my favorite things.

Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 "Dating Games..."
Yet another show with meta-referencing: This time about June and Mark not getting together yet. Has it been this ever-preset all along in so many shows and I'm just noticing now? Otherwise, a forgettable episode (Need proof? I've already forgotten a lot of it).

Cougar Town "I Need to Know"
 A mustache growing competition is always funny. Fact. It's nice that the show doesn't feel at all different on the new network.

Parenthood "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Yeah, I've picked up another show. Thankfully, the season's almost over, so it's not adding to my schedule much. I must say, there is no show on TV that I am as willing to let manipulate me. I found myself cheering for a vending machine. I don't even know how they did that.

The Middle "One Kid at a Time"
I really liked the structuring of the episode. The ending with Brick was a cop-out though. That's kind of what this show is though: they write toward something, then give up at the end.

Modern Family "Party Crasher"
There we go! That is the show I once found great. Cam and Mitchell aren't just sniping each other.Phil is part cartoon, part-sincerely playing a reasonable dad. Gloria is getting jokes from playing big and still having a heartfelt talk with Manny. For that matter, Gloria and Jay actually act like a couple and not a rich man and trophy wife. The Luke and Lilly feud continues...Seriously, this is the best episode since the season premiere, maybe even further back.

Suburgatory "Junior Secratary's Day"
I like this show but the consistency has been awful. I want to say Tessa doped up and paranoid was entertaining enough to forgive the episode as a whole, however, everything else was outright lame: Sheila's paranoia, Fred's hiding in 1950's alien attire, Dalia's worries, George's sneaking around. All of it was too, I suppose "broad" would be the word.

Nashville "I'm Sorry for You, My Friend"
I like that Rayna and Juliette are crossing paths more often. I figure if I'm going to be watching a guilty pleasure show like this, I'd like it to have the plots I care about. Now, what are the chances Teddy, Avery, Glenn, Peggy, and Dominic all die in a bus crash before the opening credits next week? Oh, and all those people I don't bother looking the names up of.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
1/8-1/9
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28

No comments:

Post a Comment