Thursday, January 24, 2013

DVR Purge 1/22-1/23

A lot of goodbyes this week for a number of reasons. First, we have the only expected one: Parenthood for a season finale. The next is Ben & Kate which I'll get to in a minute. Lastly is Don't Trust the Bitch in Apt. 23 which was so abrupt that I couldn't even address it after an episode. Not a big loss there. The show was doomed as soon as they took 'bitch' out of the title. You can't do that show playing scared. It also didn't help that they were still burning off season 1 episodes. An all-around bungled handling of a series that had enough there to be something under better conditions.


Ben & Kate "Bake Off"
Truth be told, I had middling feeling about this episode. Then I heard is was effectively cancelled. That's changed this into more of an obituary. This show has been the nicest surprise of the season because I didn't really know any of the actors going in and no show had a cast the gelled as quickly as them. Nat Faxon is a refreshing kind of over the top that is so earnest at the same time.  Dakota Johnson is really good playing the awkward, caring mother of the group even though her own daughter is the only one she's older than. Lucy Punch I've seen before in limited amounts, but this was the first time material seemed to be written for her and she always nailed it. Echo Kellum I assume is going to start showing up all over the place. He's definitely a character actor, but one who could slide into just about any group. Even the kid (let me look it up...Maggie Elizabeth Jones) is a lot funnier than she should be for her age. I don't have a full opinion about her because she's, like, 7 so she has a long way to go. Regardless, the show may have suffered from being more likeable than funny, but it will be sorely missed by me at the very least.

New Girl "Pepperwood"
I must say, I was impressed how the pogos all came together at the end. They were certainly my favorite part of the episode.
-I take that back. My favorite part was the "Don't steal my yarn" exchange. For a throw away joke, I loved how serious they played it.
-Everything with Julius Pepperwood was pretty stupid. I'm sorry. I'll forgive the zany stories if there's enough good jokes packed into them, such as Schmidt and Robbie last week. This relied way too much on humor from misunderstandings which is normally my least favorite kind.

Go On "Comeback Player of the Year"
I'm actually not at all excited to see Piper Perabo show up. Not because I dislike her, but the cast is too big to be throwing in characters like this for what I assume will be a character arc. The show is only now finding it's balance as it is.
-I do like that they seem to be looking for a new non-Ryan pairing to try every week. This round was Anne and Danny. While not my favorite story and they certainly tried too hard to force in a sad moment, I appreciate that they are trying to work through the group like that.
-Is it just me or did the flipped cars look super fake?
-TV Trope Alert: Every free spirited person has to have a secret rooftop with a view of the city.

The Mindy Project "Hooking Up Is Hard"
-I like the show more than I like the episodes. I don't think that makes sense even as I say it. Mindy's voice is wonderful though. Little touches like wanting to have vodka in a Dixie cup, recording an "in case I die" video, and her general jaded attitude make her one of my favorite characters on TV right now even though she is still developing it.
-Yay! Alison Williams is back, still with the eye patch. I'm all for having as much as possible of her, although I have to say, the resolution of her and Danny's story was...non-existent. It was the makings of an argument, then a delightful gag about the Olympics, then...it's all okay? Not sure what happened there.
-A Bossypants plug: I'll allow it.
-I'm glad that Mindy Project survived Fox's rescheduling. I've liked it enough to hope it gets a second season (as opposed to secretly hoping it would be cancelled as I feel about other shows, Up All Night last season being the first that comes to mind).

Cougar Town "Between Two Worlds"
-The writers loved the Ron Mexico name a lot more than I did. Pretending to be in AA also struck me as a much darker joke than they normally go after, especially since they already have a lot of jokes about them being drunks.
-Selflessness is a horrible super power. Just saying.
-I'm still impressed that the show hasn't missed a beat since moving networks. I honestly though TBS would be able to resist tinkering with it.

Parenthood "Because You're My Sister"
I just got caught up in time to for the season to end. I swear, if it ends now, I am going to be upset.This would be an acceptable ending though, even if it was rather abruptly wrapped up.
-As cheesy as it was, I couldn't take the smile off my face in the scene when they finalized the adoptions. Having a show that can do that is undervalued these days.

The Middle "The Friend"
 -Every time Frankie picked up that damn phone I had Swingers flashbacks. While it wasn't anywhere near as excruciating, it was painful to watch in it's own right.

-Mark it, this is the first time that a Sue story had me fully on board. I was genuinely hurt that they would take the wrestlerettes away from her and they found a way to handle it that allowed her to be as gung-ho as ever without being unfortunate.

Modern Family "Fulgencio"
-Something I've never clamored for is more of Gloria's family. When it's only her, I can pretend she's an over-the-top character, nothing more. When it's several family members, it is more like ethnic caricature.
-One episode without Cam and Mitchell being catty to one another. That's all I ask.
-The homage to the Godfather at the end was pretty amazing. A good example of the episode long setup feeling earned rather than forced: something the show used to be great at. The zebra head was a little much, but it was sort of required.


Suburgatory "Chinese Chicken"
Ugh. I like this show but I'm sort of tired of it. I don't know what it's about anymore. The characters are great. Tessa isn't too cool for Chatswin these days. George has his own crew and kind of fits in. Dallas is less of a cartoon. Ryan is shockingly mulch-faceted. Really, I like them all. What is this show though? It isn't a family comedy or a work place one. It's not quite a group of friends who hang out or one about coupling. The satire is [thankfully] limited. There's nothing holding it together beyond that they keep making them. Am I the only one who finds that odd?

Nashville "You Win Again"
I think this was the closest to heartfelt that the show has gotten. I don't get why this Juliette/Rayna feud is still going on. Juliette I get. Rayna though, they have built as way to humble and aware enough of a character to not be making peace with Juliette. There's a lot of forced conflict going on all around: Deacon/Rayna, Scarlett/Gunnar, Rayna/Teddy. I don't know why though. Maybe I'm watching this expecting a more human show and that's foolish of me. I don't understand this writing though. It seems like there is plenty of natural conflict or better angles to go with the conflict they've already developed. There's still a version of this show that could be really good. As is, I'm very nearly hate-watching it week-to-week.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
1/19-1/21
1/17-1/18
1/10-1/16
1/8-1/9
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28

No comments:

Post a Comment