Thursday, January 10, 2013

DVR Purge 1/8-1/9

It's amazing how quickly the DVR fills up. Why did I find yet another show to pick up (Parenthood)? I'm probably not done either. Good chance I'm picking up one or two mid-season shows.Maybe I'll have a social life in the summer.


Ben & Kate "B-squad"
And so began a fairly disappointing return to Tuesday comedies. Bee squad pretty well describes my rating of the episode. It was nice to see David Hornsby and Jane Seymour and it was equally nice to see a rare pairing of BJ and Tommy. The biggest laughs for me came from "little Tommy" and the BJ's  fake newscast.

Happy Endings "Ordinary Extraordinary Love"
I'm really disappointed that the montage of Max visiting all the gay scenes, didn't include showing the "Sitcom Gays" bar.
Maybe it's the two episodes this week, but I'm struck by how well the pairing off, A, B, and C story structure works for this show. It helps keep every episode fresh.

Go On "Win At All Costas"
Ryan being a secret idiot was a good gag. Mr. K playing wife was not. I guess that's how this show works. You take the good with the bad.

New Girl "Cabin"
Drunk characters are always good for a cheap laugh. Still, scattering them throughout the episode made me realize how much better at it Jake Johnson is although puking in the fireplace was pretty funny. The whole cabin story was contrived though. Jess and the gun and hitting the power line and all that required way too much pixie-Deschanel for my taste.
What I outright hated was the Schmidt and Winston story. Had it stopped at ribs and soul food, I'd accept it as a weak story. Taking it to buying crack was insulting to my intelligence and any character development of Schmidt. Even he isn't that stupid. This was a big miss.

The Mindy Project "Mindy's Brother"
Despite my thoughts of this week's New Girl this was the low point of my Tuesday, sadly. Essentially no part of this episode worked for me. Eventually this show will work into a groove right? There's still a sense of too many moving parts going on.

The Middle "Life Skills"
-I just binged Parenthood. Now, when I see Brick, I keep seeing how I wish Max would acting. Brick is the most autistic non-autistic character on TV. It's nice to see someone who can logically be anti-social.
-Dave Foley is either really pathetic these days. Either that, or he is good at playing pathetic.
-As ridiculous as it was, I got a real kick out of Axl putting together the presentation.

Modern Family "New Year's Eve"
-I never thought I'd legitimately say this, but the strongest story was by far the one with all the kids. Recreating the laundry scene from the pilot was pretty inspired. The Lily gags were funnier than I expected. Most of all, I love the abrupt coming of age of Luke.
-Cam and Mitchell accepting their aging in the gay community is retread territory but a welcome angle over them doing nothing by bickering.
-Billy Dee was an odd bit of stunt casting and "Nude Years Eve" was a lot of effort for what got a muted punchline.

Suburgatory "Black Thai"
-Really, a Savages reference? That was odd.
-If Tessa wasn't the Narrator, would she be the lead? I don't think she would be and that's a shame because I still think she is the strongest character.
-The Shay stories have been getting away with a staggering amount of racial humor. I never thought they'd successfully build a story with them that I'd actually care about.

Nashville "Be Careful of the Stones You Throw"
Why do I still watch this? I don't know. They sure burned through a lot a story in the return episode. I've already accepted that I'll see this through till the end of the season, but I wish my neuroses could let me drop it now.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28





No comments:

Post a Comment