Monday, February 25, 2013

Movie Reaction: Side Effects

Formula: Love and Other Drugs + Murder


Why I Saw This: There is absolutely nothing out that I haven't seen and want to, so I opted for this one even though it's been out for a while.

Cast: The leads are Rooney Mara and Jude Law. Catherine Zeta Jones is the next most prominent. Channing Tatum is in a pretty small role, all things considered. Law reminded me of a less crazy version of his Contagion character. Mara I spent half the time thinking how different she looked than in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Jones is, better than she was in, say, Rock of Ages, but that sounds more damning than it's meant to. Tatum could've been played by absolutely anyone. It was odd to see him as a business man, much like Vin Diesel in Boiler Room.

Plot: I can't really get into it too much.  Mara's character is depressed and her husband is getting out of jail for insider trading. She starts seeing a psychiatrist played by Law and she ends up on trial for killing her husband. That's about as much as the previews give away and that's all I am at liberty to say. Speaking abstractly, I'll say, I think the movie was at its best about 3/4 of the way in and has trouble sticking the landing.

Elephant in the Room: No, really, what is it about? It's tough to talk about it, because the people who will enjoy it the most are the ones who go in as a blank slate. The movie itself is sort of a thriller, I guess. It has layers and changes what it is about a few times. It's fun to watch it all unfold.

To Sum Things Up:
I was really entertained from start to finish. I recommend it to anyone who is even considering seeing it. The danger here is building it up too much, because it will disappoint under those circumstances, I'm glad I say it and I think that anyone who turns on USA a couple years one day and finds it on will be pleasantly surprised,

Side Note: I half-assed writing this one because 1) the Oscars were about to come on and 2) this is almost out of theaters.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment