Thursday, February 21, 2013

DVR Purge: 2/19-2/20

Fitting this one in just under the wire before I feel obliged to add thoughts on Thursday shows.


Go On "Go Deep"
Piper Perabo, please go away. I'm really bored by this character and there's too big of a cast to need her around. Additionally, I get the desire to keep this vaguely sports themed but enough with the T.O.s and Shawn Whites showing up to steal screen time. This much reliance on guest actors suggests a lack of depth to any of the regular characters, which, you know, could be remedied by giving them more to do.

New Girl "Parking Spot"
I guess I respect that they are dealing with the kiss head on for this long and trying to give it a proper grave. At the same time, no part of me believes all this setup isn't leading to something bigger by season's end. I still find it funny how Winston seems to be on his own show (and a little bummed how little Brenda Song we got).

The Mindy Project "Mindy's Minute"
Again, not my favorite episode, but it feels more like a fully formed show and the name of the game is "season 2" so consistency in tone is a good start. Danny's minute was quite funny, as was the sock puppet getting back at him via Mindy. I still question how well they have sold "professional Mindy" and, much like most workplace comedies, it will be much more comfortable when making the job an afterthought.

Cougar Town "Flirting With Time"
I'm a sucker for an origin story. When a show starts at the meet-cute, you don't really know how it will turn out or if you'll even like how it does. The origin story allows for the previously established dynamic (the ways everyone gets along) and use that as a way for all the characters to come together. In other words, it's sort of a cheat, but a fun one. In this case, it was excellently structured around the meet-cute running gag and pretty much all of the meets felt exactly right. Even Jules and Grayson's actual meet-cute took me by surprise (I choose to ignore the "she's a married woman" angle of what it implies).

The Middle "Winners and Losers"
Seriously, they are shitting on Brick again!? This is starting to feel mean. I get that the joke is that they're middle-rate to bad parents, but this is constantly being highlighted with Brick alone. I feel bad for him.

Modern Family "Bad Hair Day"
I think there are some good touches with Luke in terms of bringing out his Phil-ness, this week, with the shoes. It would be nice if they could calibrate his genius a little. The trouble he got to in school makes him seem like his too young, especially when compared to Manny, but then he has the most cunning of all the bribes.
-Speaking of the bribes, that was a funny series  regardless of if everything else sort of fell flat leading up to it.
-Seeing another woman playing her alternate timeline makes me realize how much about Claire I only like because she is played by Julie Bowen.

Suburgatory "T-ball and Sympathy"
A few surprising choices this week:
1. After weeks of Shay dominance, there was little or none of them except for some excellent support work by Lisa.
2. I really didn't expect Chef Alan to really be cheating on Mr. Wolfe, and the "Oscar man" costume was a funny surprise.
3. It was obvious that Ask Tessa would be a failure or masking something, but I was dumbstruck by the way they revealed it at the end. That was an oddly dour note for this show.
I loved the twisted resolution to this week's installment of the Dallas/Noah saga. When done right, violence toward children can be hilarious (or perhaps that's just me).

The Americans "In Control"
A lesser show would've made Hinckley secretly a Russian spy made it some elaborate plan. Thankfully, they avoided that kind of historical rewriting. Instead, we got this good, tense hour filled with a lot or near misses and complicated it by sprinkling in Phillip and Elizabeth's marital issues, which as I've said before, is the aspect of the show that I think will really keep it interesting.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/5-2/8   |   2/9-2/11   |   2/12-2/18   |  

1/17-1/18   |   1/19-1/21   |   1/22-1/23   |   1/24-1/29   |   1/30-2/4

12/16   |   12/17-12/21   |   ...12/22-1/7   |   1/8-1/9   |   1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28   |   11/29-11/30   |   12/1-12/5   |   12/6-12/8   |   12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3   |   11/4-11/10   |   11/11-11/16   |   11/17-11/20   |   11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28   |   9/29-10/4   |   10/6-10/12   |    10/13-10/19   |   10/20-10/27

No comments:

Post a Comment