Saturday, February 9, 2013

DVR Purge: 2/5-2/8

 Oy! Stupid DVR and rescheduling issues had me behind all week. Finally caught myself up and even got to watch a couple shows live.


New Girl "Table 34"
Flat out, I am against anything that brings Nick and Jess together. Most of that is a mix between fear of ruining a good thing in the current dynamic of the show and fatigue over the coupling tropes of TV. But, they went there is that is our inevitable end point. I like that they addressed it head on but amidst the surprisingly funny backdrop and Indian marriage seminar.

The Mindy Project "Harry & Mindy"
This wasn't my favorite episode but it was one of the first ones where I didn't overtly feel like they were retooling things. I think this is the show. And, as much as I hate to say it, especially after what I said about New Girl, the stabilizing force here was Mindy and Danny together. If the show makes a clear end game of those two being together, that might be enough to drive everything else. I don't see how this will ever be a true ensemble, so the next best thing is to have a strong lead that everyone has a rapport with, and I think they are reaching that.

Cougar Town Running Down a Dream"
Between Scrubs and Cougar Town, I've watched enough Bill Lawrence shows to see the beats, which I don't mind so much. You know within a few minutes that this episode is going to end with Jules realizing she loves being a realtor. The journey getting her there was fun though.

The Middle "The Smile"
This show. It has occasional moments of absolute brilliance that I never see coming. This week, it was Brick going between Frankie and Mike and tweaking stories until he can get an iPad. That sealed the entire episode, which I otherwise enjoyed in its own right as one of my favorite this season.

Modern Family "A Slight at the Opera"
Is it asking too much for a Lilly that can deliver a line? I get how much that is asking from, what, a four year old. If that can't get those results from her though, then don't give her the lines. I also don't enjoy this return ro stupid Luke. I like calculating, devious Luke a lot more.

Suburgatory "Body Talk"
I'm consistently surprised by how much racial humor this show does, even more so by how much of it is pretty funny. So, everything about Dalia's new school had me rolling. I missed the first commercial break and a half due to some basketball preemptions so I can't really rate this as a whole.

The Americans "The Clock"
Is anyone else with me when I say that I hope they don't feel the need to be too historically accurate with this show? My only fear is if they will corner themselves with the limits of historical fact. This looks like a fun show though.

Nashville "I've Been Down That Road Before"

This is probably the closest to the show I'd be interested in watching long-term. Almost everything about it was music drama. Rayna and Juliette were disgruntled around one another but showing signs of mutual respect. They finally seem content on the Rayna and Juliette aren't all they different, only at different stages of their careers angle. The Gunnar/Scarlett story was rather obviously setup and featured that hilariously shot fight, so that was pretty forgettable. But, the talk of Rayna signing them to her label looks like a good way to start getting them involved instead of being off in this other world.


The Big Bang Theory "The Spoiler Alert Segmentation"
Danmit! For a brief moment, I thought we were getting some real change in the show. Not being a season finale or heavily promoted episode, I knew the relocations would be temporary. A boy can dream though. Personally, I want to know how long the writers have been sitting on the Harry Potter spoilers gag? I ask, because it would've been dated in the pilot. I get that history won't remember the context of the timing of this episode in 10 years, but I do now.

Community "History 101"
Community has been off the air that long that my DVR wasn't even set for it. It has been far too long.
-I have no way to watch the show in a vacuum and I accept this going it, but this episode didn't feel right. I'm not completely sure that I can place it, but the production even seemed different. Almost like they were filtering the cameras differently.
-I won't judge the premiere too harshly because I haven't loved any of the season premieres so far. This is just consistency so far.

The Office "Couple's Discount"
Why is Andy back? He was [intentionally] insufferable to deal with the whole time. They are trying to paint him as the bad guy, which would be fine if he wasn't a character they worked so hard and successfully to get us to like. I don't get it.
The only thing that made me more uncomfortable: Jim and Pam and the camera guy. Unless this is a stealth way to get us to the end of the documentary and not at all leading to a love triangle, then I approve no part of what is happening. There's a part of me that so badly wants to believe this is the show zigging when we expect it to zag and out of nowhere there will be something brilliant. Alas, I do not see how that could be.

Parks & Recreation "Ann's Decision"
Tee-hee-hee. I love that P&R never shys away from things that are inherently funny. There's no shame in going for an easy laugh as long as it is done well. Ron, Ben, and Chris with food poisoning is hilarious. That the calzones were to blame: genius. They also know exactly how often they can use a town meeting scene in an episode and exactly how much they have to tweak it to not get stale. Lastly, they found a way to let Nick Kroll do his thing while still making him into a complex character.
I love this show. Plain and simple. Will 30 Rock over, Community changed, and Louie gone until 2014, this is almost all I have to guarantee a laugh every week.

Archer "Midnight Ron"
I want to like this show more. I do. It's only a certain tier. A pretty good one. The pieces are all there. It never totally clicks for me though. I guess it all comes down to the belly laugh factor. I find this show funny, but it is rare to have a joke that demands that I bellow. I should probably comment on this episode itself...uh, I'm slowly coming to like Ron.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
1/30-2/4
1/24-1/29
1/22-1/23
1/19-1/21
1/17-1/18
1/10-1/16
1/8-1/9
...12/22-1/7
12/17-12/21
12/16 Dexter and Homeland
12/9-12/15
12/6-12/8
12/1-12/5
11/29-11/30
11/25-11/28
11/21-11/24 (Dexter)
11/17-11/20
11/11-11/16
11/4-11/10
10/28-11/3
10/20-10/27
10/13-10/19
10/6-10/12
9/29-10/4
9/22-9/28


No comments:

Post a Comment