Friday, February 22, 2013

DVR Purge 2/21

I think I may have mastered a new method of doing these for faster turnover (Hint: I do them at work). Overall, a pretty weak Thursday propped up entirely by a top 10 Parks & Rec. episode.


The Big Bang Theory "The Monster Isolation"
I have to give Kunal Nayyar props for being willing to play without an ounce of dignity. I'm curious to see how long they keep Kate Micucci around, especially if they plan to maintain his inability to talk to women without alcohol, which, let's be honest, is a gag that has run its course.

Community "Conventions of Space and Time"
Good lord, I hate it, but I'm one of those "it's just not the same" people. I'm ok with it not being the same as long as they try to change it something that the current writers are more proficient at. I assume the faux-Harmon thing is something they had to get out of their system. As for the specific episode though...
1) The opening tag with Britta pretending to not be in Troy's room was really caper-y, especially since the resolution is that he's known all along and the only reason he is admitting to this now (since it's the end of his donut connection) is because the cameras are on him this time.
2) The convention seemed pretty tame, all things considered.
3) They aren't even being coy about the Jeff/Annie coupling anymore. I've never been a big fan of those two no matter how much they try to make us forget their ages, but I hoped it would be a little more subtle.
4) I like the American Inspector Spacetime. It makes me wonder what American Dr. Who would look like.

Parks & Recreation "Leslie and Ben"
A nearly flawless P&R outing. My favorite touch was how Ann was so completely prepared for all of this. It was incredibly fitting when I thought about it. Had this been the final episode of the show (as it was produced to potentially be) I'd've had no complaints.

Parks & Recreation "Correspondent's Lunch"
Given how finale-ee the previous episode was, this was almost like a weird reboot episode and took some time to get its footing. Still enjoyable, but a sort of steep drop from the previous half-hour. I can't wait to see more of Ben and Andy as office-mates.

Archer "Once Bitten"

This was a pretty odd episode, that I did quite like. Archer's hallucinatory Christmas Carol was odd, but interesting character development for a show not often concerned with that.
Have they always relied so heavily on ending one scene with a question and beginning the next scene with an answer? If so, I never noticed it as much as in this episode which was the switch between bascially every seen. Good, detailed writing.

Legit "Family"
Ok. I think I'm back on board. I randomly deciding to give this episode a try and I really liked it. It's sort of Wilfred without the dog. The speech about why it's fine to laugh about things instead of getting mad was one of the best dissections of that I've heard and the award for my most uncontrollable laugh of the night goes to the end when the kid stole his joke. The indignation on Jefferies' face mixed with the tension cutting timing of it was superb.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/5-2/8   |   2/9-2/11   |   2/12-2/18   |  2/19-2/20   |  

1/17-1/18   |   1/19-1/21   |   1/22-1/23   |   1/24-1/29   |   1/30-2/4

12/16   |   12/17-12/21   |   ...12/22-1/7   |   1/8-1/9   |   1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28   |   11/29-11/30   |   12/1-12/5   |   12/6-12/8   |   12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3   |   11/4-11/10   |   11/11-11/16   |   11/17-11/20   |   11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28   |   9/29-10/4   |   10/6-10/12   |    10/13-10/19   |   10/20-10/27







No comments:

Post a Comment