Thursday, February 14, 2013

50 Years of Oscar Inconsistency: The 1990s

As promised, here's the results of my insanely inefficient examination of Oscar's snubs. But, before I begin, let me be clear what I mean by "snub". I'm looking at which movies got all the right nominations but either still couldn't get the Best Picture win or even get a Best Picture nomination. These aren't the movies that couldn't even get nominated for anything. These are the movies that seems to get all the love from the Academy except for the big one. If you still don't understand what I mean, keep reading. You will.

In case you missed my lengthy diatribe about why I'm doing this. Here you go. And, in cased you missed my explanation of how I calculated the "snubs", here you go.

Previously: The 2000s


72nd Academy Awards
The further back we go, the fewer movies I'm going to have any opinion (or even knowledge) about. I'll even admit I don't agree with a lot of my named snubs. This year, for example, while I think no one would logically question the inclusion of The Green Mile, it was a less deserving best picture nominee than the Talented Mr. Ripley (12).

71st Academy Awards
Another year that I can't entirely gripe about although Shakespeare in Love only really had an edge over Saving Private Ryan because of the number of acting nominations.

70th Academy Awards
You know, Titanic dominated the nominations. In all honesty, L.A. Confidential wasn't too far behind it though. This was one of the strongest overall fields the Oscars have had.The Wings of the Dove and The Full Monty were on pretty equal ground but not in snub territory.


69th Academy Awards
As it turns out, the 90s were a pretty predictable decade. The English Patient had the third highest overall rating of movies in the 90s and came away with a win. Also, the five best picture nominees all had the nomination count to earn their spot.


68th Academy Awards
Everyone says Apollo 13 was such a snub, but when you actually look at the nominations, Braveheart was pretty expected to win.Guild wins be damned. Braveheart was the front-runner.


67th Academy Awards
Anyone who thought Forest Gump wasn't going to win was foolish. That was a lock. I'm trying to figure out what Four Weddings and a Funeral is doing with a best picture nomination over Bullets Over Broadway (13).


66th Academy Awards
I don't think it's actually allowed for anyone to complain about the Schindler's List win.

65th Academy Awards
Unforgiven was going to win this. Howard's End is the only thing that even seemed close. The Player (14) actually had more credentials than A Few Good Men to be nominated for Best Picture, but I think the endurance of popularity for the latter has justified that pick.


64th Academy Awards
I was shocked to see this breakdown. JFK (15) is an overwhelming favorite over The Silence of the Lambs, one of only three big four nomination winners (Directing, Lead Actor, Lead Actress, Picture) ever. Also, looking at it, I'd say that Beauty and the Beast had no business being here over Thelma and Louise (16), but considering the difficulty of animated movies getting nominations, it's hard to find a way to rate it properly.


63rd Academy Awards

Dances with Wolves was going to win. My metrics have it almost doubling its chances again the "runner up", Goodfellas. The snub here is is Awakenings getting a best picture nod over either The Grifters or Dick Tracy (17). Take your pick.

The 90s were pretty boring as it turns out. 33 still left...

No comments:

Post a Comment