Tuesday, February 19, 2013

DVR Purge 2/12-2/18

Got a little behind. I almost hit the week mark and it shows with the length.


Cougar Town "Restless"
I don't get it. Why was Jules having trouble sleeping? The whole "solve with a kiss"things was a weak resolution even by C.T. standards. This felt more like an obligatory V-Day episode though.
I did enjoy Jules pouring more wine as she talked about not wanting to take a mind altering drug. Once again, my favorite TV winos.

The Middle "Valentine's Day IV"
This show has been on a killer run as of late. Sue was muted through most of it until a killer payoff at the end. Axl and Boss Co. had a funny gag and continues to make me wonder how they will handle next season, when he should be in college. Brick got to have the perfect, full-circle end to his story. I wasn't a fan of Frankie and Mike's stories throughout most of it, but it all worked because the moment with them in the kitchen was exactly right. A grand gesture wouldn't've fit for those characters. "You know" is much more fitting. All in all, this was the best use of Valentine's day in a show that I've seen this year.

Modern Family "Heart Broken"
This episode was deceptive in the the structure being different was the only thing that was different. Other than some timeline issues, there's nothing about it that wouldn't've worked just as well interweaving stories like normal. I looked at it as three separate mini-pilots, so let's review them as such.
The Dunphys: The only story with enough characters to not get a little exhausting by the end. I would've appreciated the nosebleed sight-gag more had it been a previously established character trait, not first introduced moments before. Again, I had more fun with the kids than the parents.
The Pritchards: This was a little overly saccharine for my taste. A little too much timing involved to created the timing for these issues. And, there was no dog. It was enjoyable enough, but definitely not as well serviced by the structure.
The Tucker-Pritchettss: This is not a show I'd watch. I thought the beginning was really funny and had great potential, but it was squandered when it switched from a Hangover-esque mystery to bickering and lying. They note played occasionally can be funny. When it's the only note, it's annoying.

Suburgatory "Blowtox anf Bowel Chips"
I love some of this and hated a little. Time for a breakdown.
Tessa: Played the straight woman and narrator. She hasn't been interesting for a while which is a shame.
George: They still find new ways to treat him like a stranger in Chatswin. Being stood up was a good way to do that. Him being broadly drunk was entertaining enough as well even if the cause wasn't greatly explored.
Ryan: They have fun adding more facets to him. This was a fun one since it showed he wasn't a complete moron.
Malik, Lisa, and Sheila: Who knew Malik and Sheila would be the best comedic pairing on the show, or even a good one? I was so happy Malik and Lisa got back together and I like how well they handle showing the analogous relationship between Sheila and her mother and Lisa and Sheila.
Dallas: I'm not saying that botox is against her character. The hiding of the face and awkward camera angles were beyond distracting. That, along with the sack over the head was too zany...
Dalia: ...but it set us up for Dalia describing what she looked like. I can always get behind a good "you look like ____ and ____ had a baby" joke.

Nashville "There'll Be No Teardrops Tonight"
The whole time I've been watching this, I've looked at it as three stories following the three women. That's been wrong though, because then there's Avery who is awful in every way. I don't know if I am supposed to like him or feel bad for him or look at him as a cautionary tale about the system. Regardless, he has no place here. I don't know what the masterplan is with him (Juliette and him deserve one another), but he is a drag every time he shows up.
I think I've finally pinpointed what I can't adapt to with this show. It never lets anything sit. They introduce Juliette's manager not liking her new direction last week and it escalates to her firing him the next. The bring Gunnar's brother back this week and it looks like that will already play out next week. Nothing has time to stew so I don't get a chance to care about it before it's gone. No wonder the closest thing I've had to genuine emotion so far has been with Rayna and Deacon.

The Americans "Gregory"
I guess I'm having a hard time believing that they are only just now revealing the details about their lives before they took on their covers. Is my understanding that Elizabeth was completely unwavering until Phillip killed the operative from the pilot in her defense? I'm not calling this a criticism. Rather, I am just making sure I understand where they are coming from.

The Big Bang Theory "The Tangible Affection Proof"
This show is so scared of having a sincere moment. This week is about as close as they get to doing it and this is even half-hearted. The undercut Penny and Leonard's one sided relationship by basically having Leonard agreeing to not be so desperate (always asking Penny to marry him). Raj has a meaningful speech about there being nothing wrong with being alone only to reject it all when met with the prospect of a date. All Bernadette and Wolowitz's argument told me is that they bicker like children. Even Sheldon's surprise gift (the lead up to which was entirely pathos), which was a clever idea by the writers is rendered meaningless (and nearly looks to be a cruel prank) by the closing tag.

Community "Paranormal Parentage"
I wouldn't say I liked this appreciably more than the premiere. But again, as I've said before, the seasons have never started off strong for me. I need that fist episode of the season that wows me. The Scooby-Doo idea is clever but it wasn't very dense. Most of what makes the high-concept episodes work is that they start with the concept, then pack in the jokes. There weren't as many cases of that. And, on a nit-picky note, I find it hard to believe that Troy would not know his way around the mansion.

Parks & Recreation "Emergency Response"
Remember when something like a wedding was a guarantee for a season finale? Thanks to Parks & Rec (not to mention The Office, 30 Rock, and Community), I don't. But, that's a discussion for next week's episode. This week gave us Ron Swanson hosting Joan Callamezzo's show and Tom explaining that "things are forever". Let's also no forget a Mouse/Rat performance that brings back "The Pit" with updated lyrics. I super love this show.

The Office "Moving On"
What in God's name are they doing with Andy? He is acting like a complete dick right now, and I thought he was at his worst last week. I don't know if I've ever been invested enough in him that if this is all leading to some big redemptive act by him that I'll particularly care.
-As for Jim and Pam, I'm assuming that this is just dip in their relationship leading to a high, similar to how they toyed with the fans for the first three season (which was also when it was at it's best, so maybe that isn't a coincidence). I'm assuming the discomfort I feel about them now is completely intentional and will be well enough resolved by season's end.
-The closing tag revelation about the documentary has me very concerned that the finale will be a clip show. Then again, in the structure of telling a complete story as opposed to the normal "remember this funny thing" structure to clip shows could be interesting.

Archer "Vicious Coupling"
"That is the third saddest thing I have heard all day."
"What are the other things?"
"Pam told me a story about a girl who drowned trying to save a puppy."
"Oh my god! What was the second saddest thing?"
"The puppy drowned, too. "
That was the funniest thing I heard all week.

The Walking Dead "Home"
50 minutes of talking in circles and 10 minutes of genuine excitement. Most of the episode was really dull, but then that bit toward the end is what this show does best. Great mix of human-to-human combat and zombie fighting. It's really great to sea how seasoned everyone has become. When needed even Carol and Beth can kick ass. I'll admit that I was fully on board while watching the whole thing, so I won't even question things like how the one guy got in the watch tower or what the point of the whole attack was.

Shameless "The Sins of My Caretaker"
Of course, I challenge Shameless' ability to make me laugh and it follows with one of the most batshit insane sequences to date. Best of all, the way it all came together fit without feeling overly set up. I'm feeling a good run going. The episodes have all been setting up the pieces for what started going down this week.

House of Lies "Sincerity Is an Easy Disguise in This Business"
I swear to god, I am dropping this show any week now. I just need something else to fill that hole in my Sunday schedule. I don't care about any of these characters or what happens to them. I'm the only person I know who watches it, so it's not even like I have anything keeping me attached to it. I'd like to enjoy the show more, but I don't in nearly every way. I dislike hate-watching. I pray to you, TV Gods, supply with a fitting alternative before I am so deep in the series that I have to follow through till the end.

California "Rock and a Hard Place"
Yay, a two person LOST reunion (Maggie Grace and Jorge Garcia)! Other than that, eh. Is it just me, or does this season feel more adventure-of-the-week-y than years past?


How I Met Your Mother "The Ashtray"
See! See!!! It's still there. They can still do an episode every bit as good as vintage HIMYM. I've always been a sucker for when they play with the narrative and this was done really well. The touch of having Barney's play from the playbook being true and Marshall's obsession with the boat were great as well. Have they been hiding this writer in a closet for over a year or did they write the script a while ago and get to workshop it for a really long time? Why can't it be like this more often? It was smart, well-crafted, and most of all, funny.



The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/5-2/8   |   2/9-2/11

1/17-1/18   |   1/19-1/21   |   1/22-1/23   |   1/24-1/29   |   1/30-2/4

12/16   |   12/17-12/21   |   ...12/22-1/7   |   1/8-1/9   |   1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28   |   11/29-11/30   |   12/1-12/5   |   12/6-12/8   |   12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3   |   11/4-11/10   |   11/11-11/16   |   11/17-11/20   |   11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28   |   9/29-10/4   |   10/6-10/12   |    10/13-10/19   |   10/20-10/27

No comments:

Post a Comment