Wednesday, February 27, 2013

DVR Purge 2/22-2/26

I must say, this was not the most inspiring batch of episodes. Perhaps Wednesday and Thursday will bring better things. They generally do.

 
The Walking Dead "I Ain't Judas"
I simply don't understand how they lost the outer gate to the walkers. The governor let maybe a dozen of them into the field and broke one hole in the perimeter. How is that enough to be overrun? And, why aren't they just systematically killing the ones at the gate? That seems literally like the least they could do. Don't even have to waste bullets.
For a show that seems to realize how much it depends on the action to keep things interesting, I'm a little surprised that that jumped ahead from where we left off last week.

Shameless "Cascading Failures"I like this episode more in concept than execution and this is definitely where I enjoy this show so I'm forgiving of it all but will admit that the issues are there.
-Fiona had some great individual scenes. I'm happy that she quit her job. That story never interested me much.
-It seems fitting that Lip would quickly have the run of the misplaced youths home.
-I'm not sure what the point of Ian's story was. We aren't learning anything new about Mickey other than that he is into so experimentation.
-Poor Debbie. She really is the beating heart of this show. Thankfully, she's proven too valuable to face the foster mother's wrath.
-Simply put, putting Carl with a TV gay couple is mean in a way that I only don't mind  in the context of this show.
Outside the Gallagher's, Kevin and V were as warped as ever and Sheila playing Monica was probably the best thing of the episode.

House of Lies "Family Values"
I liked this more than most episodes. In general, I like it more when they are at play than at work, when they aren't trying to work a client. It feels good to have Clyde put in his place and to have a reminder that Doug is actually highly accomplished.

California "In the Clouds"
A bottle episode for the most part, I'd say this was the first successful batshit insane episode yet (Rock funeral being the closest competitor). Discussing things in terms of character growth and meaning is pointless, so I won't. This was completely out of control and, oddly, that seems to be when the show and cast is most comfortable.

How I Met Your Mother "Weekend at Barney's"
I think I figured it out. The moment when my feelings changed on this show: Ted's 30th birthday. The was the moment that I realized the payoff for any foreboding story was going to disappoint. In the early days, all they did is open new stories and excite me about what they mean. The goat was the biggest one and when I saw what happened on his 30th birthday, I was underwhelmed. Almost every payoff since has been lacking.
...which leaves me to this episode. The story behind Ted announcing that he is finally ready to settle down, ended, as expected, because Jeanette flipped out. You know, exactly like she has every time she has been on screen. Destroying the red boots was a nice touch. Then, there's Marshall's last bag of Skittles ever. Why? It's not like they lay on the Grandma stuff so thick that it was cutting any tension and I believe this story ended pretty well, especially considering that it was his conversation that got Lily to meet the artist. That whole thing was hyperbole for hyperbole's sake.
On an unrelated note, am I the only one who found Barney's speech to Robin incredibly skeevy? It's cool that he knows magic, but that masked a pretty insanely douchy speech.

Go On "Ring and a Miss"
Does this mean the last of Piper Perabo? I hope so. She has been a distraction. If now, oh well.
-I like the idea of secret meeting amongst the group.
-Mr. K could potentially be really funny as the odd man out. An episode like this, with his Mary Poppins delusions remind me that he actually belongs in a mental hospital. The "which one of you didn't believe?" line was a good capper to it though.
-This late into the season, I'm worried by the complete lack of balance in it all. Rather than each character getting his/her due, any time they do an episode focusing on one of the characters other than Ryan it feels like a makeup call for forgetting them, not a natural rotation.

New Girl "Tinfinity"
Simply put, I wasn't a big fan of this week's episode and I don't know why. It had the seldom used but always fun Jess vs. Winston pairing, Nick and Schmidt flashbacks, and more Robby. Still, I couldn't get all the way into it. A lot of setting up things to come with Jess obsessing over Nick's mouth and Cece's engagement and I feel like I'm supposed to respond more strongly to these than relative indifference. Let me be clear, however, I didn't hate the episode, I simply, didn't particularly like it.

The Mindy Project "The One That Got Away"
I get the feeling that this is a doomed series but has gone through all the needed bumps to make Mindy a stronger showrunner in the future. This episode was perfectly fine, charming, and at times funny, but it doesn't seem to fit in an overall larger narrative/arc nor have the characters all be strongly defined enough to seem sufficiently self-contained. I like so many individual things about the show, but it is rarely coming together completely.

Cougar Town "You And I Will Meet Again"
This struck me as manufactured drama. I could see Wade moving in with Laurie turning out to be something that sets Travis over the edge. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is that that everyone becomes concerned at this step. This specific thing, not them getting married or Wade coming back was assumed to be the break point. It doesn't make any sense to me. Why are people not concerned every step of the way given his proclivity to fly off the handle?
-Between Community and Cougar town, I'm just going to have to let go of the vanishing age differences that happen. It annoys me slightly, when they realize the 30 year old actor doesn't comfortably play 20 anymore and they opt to ignore ever giving them a sense of age again.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/5-2/8   |   2/9-2/11   |   2/12-2/18   |  2/19-2/20   |   2/21

1/17-1/18   |   1/19-1/21   |   1/22-1/23   |   1/24-1/29   |   1/30-2/4

12/16   |   12/17-12/21   |   ...12/22-1/7   |   1/8-1/9   |   1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28   |   11/29-11/30   |   12/1-12/5   |   12/6-12/8   |   12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3   |   11/4-11/10   |   11/11-11/16   |   11/17-11/20   |   11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28   |   9/29-10/4   |   10/6-10/12   |    10/13-10/19   |   10/20-10/27

No comments:

Post a Comment