Saturday, March 16, 2013

DVR Purge 3/13-3/15

Thursdays was certainly more packed than I realized. Thank you NBC for not giving a fuck since no one watches anyways.


The Americans "Duty and Honor"
I'm torn about this episode and I can pretty easily break it down by lead character.
-Elizabeth: I loved just about everything about what she did this week. It's amazing how well they've established her as the cold one in the relationship so that it had all the more impact seeing her missing Phillip.
-Phillip: It's great to see a glimpse of his life before he became an "American" and I though he played it well. I flat out didn't like Irina though. What was even the point of her telling him they had a son. Unless that plays out later (which I doubt) that seemed really pointless.
-Henry: Him hooking up with Nina is so boring and came out of nowhere. I get that he and his wife have problems. I never got an infidelity vibe from it, and they kind of forced it to happen with Chris not even coyly telling him to hit on another woman. It's like they thought, "Stan should have sex with Nina. What's the quickest, sloppiest way we can cause that to happen?".
I guess you'd say I found this overall uneven.

Big Bang Theory "The Closet Reconfiguration"
Simply put, the end of this episode packed one of the biggest emotional punches of this television season. The topic of the episode kind of came out of nowhere (they never really mention Wolowitz's dad), but it was pretty easy to feel for him and the way they all come together for him is a great reminder of why they are all friends. A surprisingly wonderful episode. They can't all be like that, but I'm glad this one was.

Community "Advanced Documentary Filmmaking"
NOT EVERY EPISODE HAS TO BE A THING! The documentary angle was half-assed and too familiar. Chang is a character that I've been hesitant to hate (I liked him basically until he took over the school) and I could've even dealt with Changnesia had it been used a an overt way to clean up the mess that Harmon left them, but I'm not looking forward to this double agent angle that surely has to do with City College.

Parks & Recreation "Bailout"
I am so happy they let Ron win this one. I've been worried since Leslie joined the City Council because it would inevitably turn things to politics on occasion and frankly, when there is an agenda, I get irritated, so I like that they spread the wealth by having Leslie be wrong in this occasion, but still allowing her a small victory.

The Office "The Farm"
Oh, now I get why they didn't pick up the spin-off. That looked horrible. I'm giving this episode a pass because they had to change it considerably when they realized the backdoor pilot wasn't getting picked up, so all the stuff with Packer was off and sloppy. The part about the farm was too weird to be engaging. I think Rainn Wilson could be the lead in an ensemble. Why not? But, it would have to happen like Frasier, where there was a clean break from The Office. That's my opinion at least.

Archer "The Honeymooners"
I mean, this episode doesn't stand out in the Archer pantheon or anything, but it was a good, solid episode. I wish I had more to say, but I don't.

Legit "Bag Lady"
I'm calling this episode a caper. I assume I missed some plot in the episodes I missed or did they introduce the girlfriend he cheats on in the same episode they break up? While I didn't hate it, if this is the structure of future episodes, I'm not sure I'll be staying on board for the long run (assuming there is one).


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27


No comments:

Post a Comment