Friday, March 8, 2013

DVR Purge: 3/4-3/7

It's been a pretty slow week. That's not a complaint. Some of the usual suspects and a couple unexpected ones produced some really strong episodes.



Go On "Double Down"
So many characters. I never know where to start. How about here. The fact that sweeps just ended and no one is doing new episodes of things and this episode was obviously meant for two weeks from now for the NCAA tournament along with stagnant rating and huge cast has me thinking there will be no season 2. Which, in all honesty, is fine with me. The show has never figured out its footing and I'd like to see this cast disperse to other projects where they could get more focus.
More specific to this episode, can someone please find a new way to attack the addictive gambler trope? I think the same beats have been used for the last 50 years.

Cougar Town "Make It Better"
Based on other reactions I've read about this episode, I think other people appreciated it more than I did. I didn't dislike it, but this is a show that I like without loving. I like that Courgar Town is still on the air, but it is a show that exists as a joke machine for me though. This episode went really strong for the heart and I didn't feel it as much. Travis going on dates  fell really flat for me. Wade dumping Laurie left me indifferent, because it isn't like I ever liked having him around as a transparent foil for this show's will they/won't they couple. I really liked the touches like the Inception and Grease talk (albeit a little dated) and Dr. Tom's happy medicine, but I just plain didn't care about Jules and Chick's talk. That's on me. I get that. Cougar Town has never been able to nail down the heart the way that (for comparison's sake) Scrubs did. I don't mean for that to sound like I disliked the episode. Rather, by Cougar Town standards, it was middle-rate.

Suburgatory "How to be a Baby"
George and Tessa never get to hang out anymore. It was nice to see them hang out a little. I'm not sure how much other people like Noah. I generally do enjoy him, but I really wish this whole Carmen storyline would go away. Oh, and remember when I mentioned that the Shays were Ukerl-ing the show? Well, based on the past few episodes, nevermind.

The Americans "Trust Me"
1) I don't care about the kids at all, so I don't care that much about them...not, yet.
2) I assumed almost immediately that it was the Russians who took them (it's too early in the series for it to be otherwise).
3) Despite 1 and 2, I still found this episode intense and gripping. The stuff about the Jennings' marriage is always good and Stan and Nina's setup of the rezident was great spy caper entertainment.

Community "Cooperative Escapism in Familial Relations"
I still like Community even when it's trying to tell a simple story. Season 1 wasn't all spoofs and homages and I liked that. The Shawshank Redemption angle was not bad as much as it was unnecessary. I'm also very confused by the decision not to show Shirley's extended family (and why Jeff only had two family members at dinner to a lesser extent). I assume it was for budgetary reasons, but it was distracting. This did have a stronger smattering of throwaway jokes than any episodes so far, so I liked that looseness.

Big Bang Theory "The Contractual Obligation Implementation"
All around, I was quite pleased with the episode this week. Bernadette and Amy doing the phone interview while literally being dressed up as princesses was really funny, as was the closing tag with all the men's reactions to the outfits. The presentation before that was delightfully squirm-inducing and Raj's date was pretty clever, considering the limitations they've set in place for him.

Archer "Coyote Lovely"
I'm going to have to go back to previous season, but I've really noticed how clever the writing on this show is this season. I like that they also haven't dropped little touches like Archer's tattoos. All the jokes about Archer being autistic were hilarious.

Legit "?"  (Didn't catch the title)
I can't decide whether this episode was tragic or funny, and I think that is a great place for this show to be. John Ratzenberger was great in this, especially considering the Cheers connection of it all. The interplay between Steve and Billy's whole family excellent. So much sweeping under the rug and rationalizing the craziness.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3          

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27


No comments:

Post a Comment