Monday, April 8, 2013

DVR Purge 4/4-4/7

A lot of good episodes in the last few days. Sundays still reign supreme over the week though.



Community "Herstory of Dance"
I won't pretend that this is Community at its best. Even before the writers' room turnover, that was rare. This still comes off as Community fan-fiction (which, let's be fair, it kind of is). I did like this episode. And, unlike the rest of the season, my only issues were preexisting to the series.
Issue 1: Abed being too aware that he is in a TV show does not tend to work. I'm immediately reminded of the premiere of season 2 when he kept trying to up the stakes and it felt forced. The two dates-hijinks were equally flat. In terms of the coat-check girl, she was a little too perfectly created for him, and not in an endearing way. If she comes back, I won't complain. If that's the last we see of her, I may complain though.
Issue 2: I just accepted Britta and Troy. I'm still not sure how well they work dating (I doubt Harmon could've pulled that off either), but I accept this status quo. So, why are they worrying so much about Jeff and Britta? If this is a move to a love triangle, then all I can say is "please, god No!". If it is just deepening their friendship, I don't understand why they've been so heavy on that.

The Big Bang Theory "The Tenure Turbulence"
At some point, you either pick at everything about the show or you just shut up and laugh. I generally fall into the former camp because I think a comedy can be smart, well-written, and funny, but sometimes, I'm fine just letting the jokes wash over me, as was the case with this episode. It's a story-structure we've (i.e I've) seen a hundred times and we still had alcoholic Raj and sociopath Sheldon, but I think there were enough individual touches to make it an enjoyable experience. Sheldon's handshake and gift were delightfully dense and I loved how Wolowitz worked to drive the madness rather than feel insecure for not having a PhD.

Parks and Recreation "Partridge"
It feels wrong when there is strangeness in a town that isn't Pawnee (or Eagleton). I'm not sure how I felt about the entire town being mean to Ben and is it just me or did his sister come off as terribly bland? Medicated Ben is hilarious though and I kept waiting for this to turn into Ben's counter to Leslie's speech in "Flu Season".
-Did I miss the part when Chirs and Ann started dating but not really? I'm super confused by this plot. I don't have a problem with it, per se, but it has come together really strangely.
-I had to stop and pause for a moment before writing anything about the Ron b-story. It's absurd that this show can have Aziz Ansari, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, and Chris Pratt for essentially a throwaway story. That is so much onscreen talent the show has. I don't know what my point is. I just wanted to reflect on that.

The Office "Promos"
I never thought I'd have to use the phrase "falling at the weight of its own ambition" about the Office (generally, I have that reserved for How I Met Your Mother). But, here I am, in the home stretch, trying not to say it, but feeling the need to more and more. Had they ended the show without ever getting to the documentary, I know I would've been fine with that. Building to the finale this way is really making me nervous though. There is no reason to think they can't pull it together and make a great last episode or two, but I don't know. The logistics of what this film crew has been able to catch and how long they've been doing it makes this awful tough to swallow.

New Girl "First Date"
As perfectly as they are handling this Jess/Nick slow coupling, it is starting to test my patience. Go through with it or don't, please. I loved the return of the Fancyman and it really makes me want to go back and watch those episodes.

Go On "Fast Breakup"
This was a bit of a series shakeup. Lauren abruptly calls off her marriage. The Carrie/Ryan coupling hits and then, I think, ends (not to mention Carrie reappearing out of nowhere). From here, I'm watching with the assumption that this show will not be returning. I hope the writers were considering this as well.

The Mindy Project "Pretty Man"
A little course correction going on this week with Danny single again and some obvious bonding with Mindy. Sadly, I don't think enough of a new perspective was found in the Pretty Man story, although I did like Mindy being prepared for a confrontation at the store that never happened. I think they are finally doing a better job mixing Mindy's personal life (and friends) with her work life.

Archer "Sea Tunt: Part I"
There's the Bob's Burgers reunion I've been waiting for since the season premiere.

Hannibal "Aperitif"
This might be the most pretentious pilot title I've seen. The series looks fun and it's a light commitment as numerous shows will be wrapping up in the next few weeks. One thing I cannot ignore is that I was having trouble following what Hannibal was saying sometimes. That is not the most comfortable accent.

Legit - IMDB didn't have the title again.
This is hardly a groundbreaking show, but it is doing so many refreshing things. The entire gay bar scene confronts the whole misunderstanding in the bathroom head on when most shows would have ended on the beat when Steve yelling in the stall. Instead, I think Steve even says "of course that's what he'd expect". I do think think a viewer's response to this episode is entirely dependant on the answer to the question "can rape be funny?". If yes, then the car ride fell apart hilariously, as did the read through at the end. If no, this was tasteless, start to finish. Personally, I'm digging the show.

Mad Men "The Doorway"
Most shows can be pretty fully examined in these couple sentence reactions. It would be foolish to assume that could be done here. So, a few from the gut is all I can offer:
-I love Peggy in her new job.
-The haircuts are getting fun.
-First Annie Edison, then Rory Gilmore and Alex Mack, and now Lindsay Wier. It's like they are determined to track my life in celebrity crushes. If Winnie Cooper shows up next season, I'll have that theory confirmed.

Shameless "Survival of the Fittest"
I think that was about as beautiful a season finale as that show could do. I thought there were a few too many easy fixes though. Lip getting into MIT with a full ride is laughable. I get that he's smart, but let's put ourselves in the real world and aim a little lower (perhaps invent a fictitious Chicago Tech or something). Fi's problem and solution to getting hired on full time was utterly pointless. It was introduced and resolved in a very short period. I don't think anyone would've complained if Fi was just informed that she'd earned the job (I know I was a temp. to hire at my job. It can't be that unheard of). There's a lot a questions mixed with a lot of resolutions, but truly a great overall end to what has been a strong season. Until next January.

House of Lies "Til Death Do Us Part"
Goodbye House of Lies. I wish I liked you more. If I was going to give this a final assessment, I'd say that it tried to do too much. I am pretty lost and confused by how everything played out. There was so much that this episode had to cover and as a result, nothing got its due. Jeannie comes of like the lovesick school girl Marty accuses her of being. I don't fully comprehend what Clyde's issue is beyond playing second fiddle to Jeannie. Clyde basically never has had a chance to demonstrate his value to the team, so frankly, I get why Marty doesn't care that he's leaving. Frankly, as always, my biggest issue is that I don't care.

Californication "I'll Lay My Monsters Down"
I'm happy to see Marcy and Runkle back together. Beyond that, I'm pretty tired of the rest of it. It's more tired than it is fun these days. When the comedy is in the shock, it has to keep one-upping itself and that's getting harder to do successfully. Goodbye Faith. I guess I won't see Maggie Grace until Taken 3...bleh.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         4/1-4/3

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27



No comments:

Post a Comment