Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DVR Purge: 4/10-4/16

How did I hit the week mark? Jesus, I need to get my life together. I'm barely keeping up with the activities I have to distract myself from what I need to be doing.

 
The Middle "Dollar Days"
-You know, I think Jack McBrayer could fit perfectly in the odd world of The Middle. I hope he is at least recurring for a while.
-My absolute favorite scene has to be everyone coming up with a word to describe Frankie. It was nice seeing the kids all uniting for something and appropriate that it would be an activity like this. Even better that Mike accidentally added "irritable".

Suburgatory "Go, Gamblers"
-Who'd've thought my favorite image of the week would be Allie Grant and Carmen Electra dancing in Lisa Shay's room?
-Not sure what my thoughts are about George and Dallas moving in together. That entire relationship has sucked some of the fun out of things.
-The plot thickens with Dalia. Really curious to see how that all plays out.

Modern Family "Flip Flop"
Another one of those episodes that happens more often than not, it seems, where every plot point felt like it was picked out of another show. I know there's only so much variety available, but the whole "character A is jealous of character B until she realizes that B is actually jealous of A" plot it overly-overly-trodded material, with hardly a new angle to be found.
-Rob Riggle is either the perfect person for a role or the most grating one. I lean toward the latter in this case.
-The fact that everything really did work out with the house took most of the humor from Mitchell's bottled rage for me.
-Nolan Gould - Modern Family stealth MVP 2013. I can't wait to see what this kid can do when not playing 8th or 9th fiddle.
-I loved Ariel Winter's delivery of "you're my ride" in the opening tag.

The Americans "Only You"
-I'm actually pretty happy to have Gregory gone. He was a goon character but an annoying wrench for the leads. I'm starting to wonder if they will or won't have Elizabeth and Phillip back together by season's end.
-I love how successfully their teasers for the next week's episode trick the viewer about what is going to happen. Stan knocking on Phillip's door saying "FBI" played perfectly out of context. Good job FX Promo department.
-Does the KGB even know they are doing this trial separation, because I'm still having a hard time seeing them approve that.

Nashville "My Heart Would Know"
They did not waste any time moving that sober councillor guy into straight-up villain mode, did they. I still can't tell if they want Rayna and Juliette to be enemies or merely indifferent.

Community "Intro to Felt Surrogacy"

This was an odd episode that reminded me a lot of the video game episode last year. It's obvious that this one was produced in a bubble. While not a highly episodic series, this episode feels like it is taking a break from whatever else is going on. It's strange but allows me to look at it on its individual merits. I didn't care as much for the conceit of how they get to the puppets. It's no fault of the show's, but I'm not as naturally excited by puppets and claymation or 8-bit game characters. I'm going to have to stew on this episode for a while. I can see it growing on me in time. Initially, I wasn't greatly enthused, although none of my distaste was driven by the new writers, which is probably a first for the season.

Parks & Recreation "Animal Control"

I've seen this episode before. Luckily, the parts from previous episodes they reused I quite liked, so I enjoyed this episode a lot.

The Office "Stairmageddon"
I want to use the word "caper" to describe parts of this episode and that can't be a good thing. I thought this was a flat-out awful episode. It's nice seeing Roseann and Paul Feig had an amusing cameo. The structure of the Jim and Pam "pre-counsilings" were nice and I'll admit that most of my irritation with that has to do with hating these 9th inning issues they are throwing at them. Beyond that: awful. The Stanley/Dwight/Clark story was stupid and overly slapstick. I don't buy it nor did I get a single laugh from it. Andy continues to be the least likable character on this show since that one annoying guy who worked with Jim in the Samford office (oh, wait). Angela and the [State] Senator played out like a bad 90s sitcom and I continue to be worried about how this Documentary will play out. I am less than inspired and they are running out of time to end this show on the high note that it deserves.

Go On "Urn-ed Run"
I'm assuming this is the series finale, both due to ratings and likelihood I'll still be watching if there is a season 2. As such, this episode summed up my feelings for the show pretty well: good enough, but not quite there. I know the characters now. I know the structure and how they rotate between the unwieldy number of actors. I know how they will handle the sad elements and how they will mix in the jokes. Franky, this is just a third tier comedy. There was growth, but not enough. It's a bummer because I really like this cast. Matthew Perry is an enjoyable shade of Chandler Bing. Laura Benanti has a good Britta vibe to her. Julie White is hands down the strongest supporting character and works really well with Perry. John Cho deserves a bigger role on a show but is comfortable in his new niche of "lead character's boss". Suzy Nakamura, Sarah Baker, Tonita Castro, Seth Morris, Tyler James Williams, Allison Miller (see what I mean about too many people?), and Bill Cobbs all got moments to shine, but not a many. I've even nearly come around on Brett Gelman's Mr. K who is a little too at there still. I wish I liked the show more. If it isn't cancelled, I'll be open to picking it back up if I start hearing better things about it.

Hannibal "Amuse-bouce"
This is better than I thought NBC dramas were allowed to be. I'm signed on for the season. It's still too early to laud it too much, but this could definitely develop into a show I'd be very disappointed to see get cancelled.

Archer "Sea Tunt: Part 2"
Is it already over? That was quick. Not the most remarkable season, but a way smarter show than people give it credit for. Can't wait for it's return in January on whatever network FX has by then.

Legit "Fatherhood"
I didn't realize how much world-building the show has done. This was basically a reunion of the season and I realized how many characters have been introduced and well established. I think the black baby result is outright a trope at this point. Everything leading up to it sure was funny (and in a couple cases sweet) though.

Happy Endings "She Got Game Night"
I was wondering how they were going to handle Penny being married. I hoped they would find a way to integrate him or continue to make light of how he's never around. Honestly, since I assume the series is doomed, I thought they'd go through with the wedding and give Penny her happy ending (see what I did there).
Oh, and the Pinata! Still, a top 10 gag from this TV season.

Happy Endings "The Storm Before the Calm"
Penny in freak out mode is the only thing better than everyone else preparing from Penny in freak out mode. This episode had both. As the season burns off these remaining episodes, the fact that this is probably the end is really bumming me out.

Mad Men "The Collaborators"
This show is a little too dense for me to talk about, as I noted. So, again, random thoughts.
-I thought it last week when I saw him. I've confirmed it now. That IS Frederick Crane working for Peggy.
-You go Trudy! I only hope this doesn't mean we see even less of her.
-It's nice not having to worry about the Francis family.
-That Jaguar meeting was hilarious!
-More Joan soon please...I'm starting to realize just how big this cast is these days (and honestly, always has been).

How I Met Your Mother "Romeward Bound"
That was cold, Barney. Probably short sited too. I don't know what is going on with Robin and Barney at this point. Even when they shouldn't work, the writers make them work, so I can't apply any sort of reason to this. Barney is right. Ted needs to move on and worry about himself. Ted is right. Barney needs to cool it with the "old Barney" antics, because no woman is as cool as Robin has been. The moment of truth is nigh.


The Point of the Purge
Past Purges:
4/4-4/7             4/8-4/9           

3/13-3/15         3/16-3/19        3/20-3/26        3/27-3/31         4/1-4/3

2/22-2/26         2/27                 2/28-3/3           3/4-3/7            3/8-3/12

2/5-2/8             2/9-2/11            2/12-2/18        2/19-2/20          2/21

1/17-1/18         1/19-1/21          1/22-1/23         1/24-1/29         1/30-2/4

12/16               12/17-12/21      ...12/22-1/7      1/8-1/9             1/10-1/16

11/25-11/28     11/29-11/30      12/1-12/5         12/6-12/8          12/9-12/15

10/28-11/3       11/4-11/10        11/11-11/16     11/17-11/20      11/21-11/24

9/22-9/28         9/29-10/4          10/6-10/12       10/13-10/19     10/20-10/27




No comments:

Post a Comment