Friday, January 3, 2014

January Preview

Another new year and you know what that means: nothing, as far as movie selection. There's generously only one lock this month and it's a movie that wouldn't've sniffed 'lock' status in December. Mostly, I'm waiting to a bunch of movies I've already covered in previous months to expand. Otherwise, it's going to be a rough couple weeks.

2013

1/3

The Lock: None
Get used to seeing that.

Other Options:
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - I enjoy the Paranormal Activity series a lot. It'll be nice to see one that isn't about rich white people. I do worry that targeting the Latino audiences with this pseudo-spinoff movie could result in pandering rather than genuine scares. Hopefully those worries prove to be unfounded though.
Odds I'll See It: 56%


Open Grave [Limited] - It sounds sort of like Memento meets Oldboy. I've heard nothing about it anywhere, so...it has the guy from District 9 and...that's about it.
Odds I'll See It: 6%


The Best Offer [Limited] - I guess this is some sort thriller with Geoffrey Rush. I can't say I know much about it but the January limited release is a bad sign.
Odds I'll See It: 5%


Interior. Leather Bar. [Limited] - Frankly, there's no way this expands to where I am so it's not even worth considering. There's some buzz surrounding this one and it screams "art house". James Franco's name being attached to this is probably not enough to get me into a theater if I get a chance.
Odds I'll See It: 3%


Beyond Outrage [Limited] - Hmm, limited release of a foreign movie I've never heard of. Probably not happening.
Odds I'll See It: 1%

1/10
The Lock: None:
Her has to expand enough by this week.

Other Options:

The Legend of Hercules - I don't see any difference between this and the Conan movie from a couple years ago. With Kellan Lutz as the only cast member I even recognize, it will not be hard to pass on this movie.
Odds I'll See It: 13%


One Chance - It's a movie about the story of a Britain's Got Talent winner. If you need me to explain why this is not on my "to see" list, then you really don't get me.
Odds I'll See It: 2%

1/17

 
 The "Lock": Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit
The only reason this is a lock is because an entire month without a single movie that I want to see is just depressing. If not for The Wolf of Wall Street, this was going to be a Christmas  release. I'm choosing to believe this means we are getting a blockbuster type movie in the thick of January, not a box-office blunder that is being burned off in the middle of prestige movie season. I am still waiting for a non-Kirk role to like Christopher Pine in.
Odds I'll See It: 70%

Other Options:

Ride Along - Kevin Hart has wore me to the point that I think I like him now. I'm done with Ice Cube's tough guy shtick though. If this didn't look so much like The Black Heat, I'd give it more consideration.
Odds I'll See It: 40%


Devil's Due - This is Rosemary's Baby. They can dress it up all they want. It is Rosemary's Baby and I don't see this one working.
Odds I'll See It: 4%

The Nut Job - A kids movie about squirrels. Pass.
Odds I'll See It: 2%

1/24
The Lock: None.

Other Options:

I, Frankenstein - Oh, good god! I hope something else has expanded so this isn't my only option. It looks awful, and that's coming from someone who desperately wants to love something else that Aaron Eckhart (Thank You for Smoking) and Yvonne Strahovski (Chuck) are in.
Odds I'll See It: 9%

1/31
The Lock: None

Other Options:

That Awkward Moment - I couldn't be any higher on Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station) and Miles Teller (The Spectacular Now) than I am right now and I'm not giving up on Zach Efron yet with Neighbors coming this year looking pretty good. The main factor giving me pause right night is that this sounds like a trite romantic comedy about man-children that constantly fuck up. When not in the hands of Apatow productions, I'm seldom pleased with the results.
Odds I'll See It: 43%


Labor Day - It has a star that I like in Kate Winslet, a director who I like in Jason Reitman, and a release date with not a lot of competition. Still, it looks like a well-made Lifetime movie and I don't know if I'll be in the mood for that.
Odds I'll See It: 22%

2 comments:

  1. Poor Yvonne Strahovski. Why can't you be in anything awesome post Chuck? You're super talented. I feel like you and Noomi Rapace have some sort of curse on you that keeps anything you're in from being as awesome as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Remember when her being on Dexter was supposed to be a good career move? Here's a thought: Noomi Rapace and and Strahovski in a Tango and Cash type buddy cop movie. I'd see that.

    ReplyDelete