Monday, January 6, 2014

DVR Purge: 12/18-1/5

2.5 weeks. Has it been that long already? I'd say I was enjoying the relative solitude of this break but that would be a lie. I've been tearing through my DVD seasons, hacking away at my massive Netflix queue, and still not managing to find a chance to read a book (I'm such a philistine). I'm so happy to have my shows back and best of all, Community has returned! I'm fully ready to pretend season 4 never happened. Ok? Let's just do that.


Past Purges

Saturday Night Live "Jimmy Fallon/Justin Timberlake"
I respect you too much to lie to you. I'm going off two week old notes that I forgot about right now. "Let's Do It on My Twin Bed" is probably my favorite digital short of 2013. The "It's Cold Outside" sketch was clever and surprisingly sweet. To my surprise, Justin Timeberlake did not steal Fallon's thunder (Final sketch count: J.T. 3, Fallon 6). The episode was much less SNL alum heavy than I remember last year's being. Oh, and did they think I wouldn't notice that they did two weeks of Christmas episodes this year? I approve.

The Big Bang Theory "The Hesitation Ramification"
I was literally chanting "don't undercut this with a joke" when Sheldon was talking to Leonard at the end. Of course, that was pointless. It would require so little for this show to be one of the absolute best (not most popular) comedies on TV and they continually move away from it. It's so frustrating.
-Is anyone else stunned that they didn't do a "I'll have what she's having" joke when Bernadette faked her laughing?
-I was just talking with someone about how they haven't addressed Penny's acting in a while. I'm glad the writers remembered about her.

Community "Repilot"
This kind of reminded me of the show Reboot, when it did the jump forward in time. It feels like everyone was away for longer than the summer, and I get the sense that they weren't still hanging out, which is a little sad. I loved all the callbacks to the pilot. A lot of the awkwardness I'm forgiving since it was all about Dan Harmon "fixing" what season 4 messed up. The biggest case of that was how in one line of dialogue all the Changnesia was undone. Thank god! I'm so happy to be back at Greendale.

Community "Introduction to Teaching"
Danny Pudi is on fire! That's the first thing I must address. I'm not sure that story really had a resolution but that is forgiving because Pudi was, just, wow. Elsewhere, Jonathan Banks is going to be a fun Chevy Chase replacement. Jeff as a teacher is an interesting dynamic shift and gives more reason to have Chang around (there's now sort of a teachers group which could be fun, especially if John Oliver comes back). And, I can't go without mentioning that Annie was awesome in this episode. They've basically abandoned ages for, well, everyone so she can be in Jeff's class and boss him around without much effort.

The Crazy Ones "The Face of a Winner"
I have to say, Hamish Linklater sold the hell out of the speech about his mom being a chocoholic. Had it not immediately followed Abed's Nic Cage breakdown, it might've been the delivery of the night (as is, it isn't even close). It's fitting that Sydney would become obsessed with video games. I kept thinking back to Penny becoming obsessed with WoW on Big Bang. This episode lacked the conclusion Big Bang had though.
-One thing that really impressed me was that the show didn't go into some hyper-effeminate angle with Zach and Andrew working the lotion account. It was all about their competitiveness. A lesser show would've gone in the direction of basically turning them into women. At least, that's where I feared it would go when the episode started.
-Favorite line: "I'm stronger than a man. I'll never need to get married." -7(?) year old Sydney

The Michael J Fox Show "Party"
-Super-Period. I'm scared to know more. Some good riffing by Juliette Goglia.
-Can we please retire the joke about Ikea funiture being difficult to assemble? It's getting old.
-The episode as a whole may not have worked for me, but I found the ending to be very sweet, from Eve and Annie realizing that part of their conversation was real to Mike reminding Annie that he loves her.

Parenthood "Promises"
A really strong return. I loved all the stuff with Hank and Max. I'm glad we are past the whole "It's weird for a grown man to be hanging out with a kid" phase because those two are a lot of fun together. I'm worried about the direction things are going with Joel and Julia. At least both of them are sucking when it comes to handling this rather than making one party clearly to blame. Old man friendships are the best, so I liked all the scenes with Zeek and his new friend. Drew has an unfair number of hot girls in his life. I hate being jealous of a fictional character.

No comments:

Post a Comment