Monday, January 20, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Nine

The Pitch: Remember how Chicago won all those Oscars? Ok, now add Daniel Day Lewis.

What Took Me So Long: Given the cast and director, I got scared when I didn't hear better reviews for it.

Why I Saw It: Daniel Day Lewis singing and dancing with a cast full of attractive women singing and dancing. For fans of singing and dancing, it hits a sweet spot. I still haven't seen 8 1/2 so I figured this would motivate me to see that finally. I have seen an Opera production of this (technically of 8 1/2 but they're similar enough) so I can finally say "I liked the Opera better" in a discussion of a movie. Check that off the bucket list.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I wasn't terribly impressed by the musical numbers and it doesn't add a lot to the original story, so it comes off as a less inspired remake. Simply put, it's a movie that does just enough to make me not hate it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment