Saturday, January 11, 2014

DVR Purge 1/6-1/10

Yeah, it's Saturday so no one is reading this. I'm ok with that. With the Golden Globes and numerous movies coming up, I figured I better get this in before I hit the week mark.


Past Purges

Agents of SHIELD "The Magical Place"
I think I'm giving up on this show but not in the way you are thinking. I'm not going to try any more. This week it was fun to see Skye working on her own and pretending to be Agent May. Her plan is wrought with stumbles that she magically didn't trip over but I should just accept the good. In a sense, I'm going to start grading the show on a curve. It's like when a gymnast does a routine that at best can get an 8 instead of a 10 but can pull it off a lot easier. In short, this was a fine episode of SHIELD.

Brooklyn 99 "Pontiac Bandit"
A very funny episode. Captain Holt with the puppies small dogs has to be the most aware sight gag the show as done and I entirely enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for puppies and this continues to prove it. Boyle's injury from the previous episode (which I'd completely forgotten about) gave Joe Lo Truglio an excellent excuse to do some physical comedy, which despite its broadness, I still found funny. The A-story is what I enjoyed the most though. I tend to forget how funny Craig Robinson can be since I mostly only saw him on The Office and Darryl is much different from what I think he does best. I hope they come up with an excuse to bring him back on occasion. Giving Peralta and Diaz a back story of being in the academy together is a good move. Diaz is always in danger of being too unsociable and Peralta of being shunned from the others that establishing a trust between them really helps. Overall, a very enjoyable episode of a show that's really figured itself out.

New Girl "Clavado En Un Bar"
The like to do this kind of episodes from time to time and I greatly appreciated this one over "Virgins" from last season. Schmidt gets a back story that is eerily similar to Barney Stinson's as established in "Game Night" on his show and that's fitting. They didn't try to milk too much from Coach. The brevity of the story of his name's origin was it's strength and they used the timing joke just enough. I was a little disappointed to find out that Winston wasn't that good at basketball. It's more fitting with the "character" they've built for him but hasn't the world be tough enough on him? Whatever, it was loony enough to milk some laughs. Nick's story couldn't've been better handled. They make him such a failure so often that we need occasional proof that this is how he chooses to be. Props too for the writers finding a way to have Cece around more often. She's been very absent.
Oh, almost forgot about Jess. I don't actually care about her story. It was mostly there as a framing device, so whatever. I'm all for Brian Posehn as a recurring character though, so hopefully they make that happen.

The Mindy Project "Danny Castellano is My Personal Trainer"
Every time I watch this show, the only notes I ever write down are quotes and they always make me laugh when I read them afterwards. That's gotta be a sign that they're doing something right. My personal favorite from this week was "I want him to date me even if I had a bad personality". There wasn't much about Danny training Mindy that I didn't find funny though. The repetitiveness of his well scenario should've made it less funny. It did quite the opposite. By the time it got to Anne Hathaway, I wanted to join in. More than anything, I'm impressed that Danny knew who Michael Fassbender is. Is Fassbender a common name now? He still feels fringe to me.

Trophy Wife "The Big 5-0"
"That's right Bert. You've eaten everything that's been on your pajamas"
At this point, it's just depressing to see Natalie Morales show up. I think I've gone on about that enough though. Seeing how different Diane and Jackie are, it would be nice to get some idea of what attracted Pete to them in the first place (do I smell a flashback episode?). Of course it would end with him still getting the wind chimes. Elsewhere, as you can tell from the quote at the top, I got a kick out of Bert's realization about what his meat was. And, it all ends with Wilco's "California Stars" so approve.

The Middle "Sleepless in Orsen"
Why do I like Boss Co. so much? Maybe it's because when the show does something with Boss Co. they don't feel the need to have Axl be a complete douche to the rest of the Hecks, which can get old. I'm interested to see what they do with this love triangle between Sue, Darrin, and the Glossner.

Modern Family "And One to Grow On"
The writers seem to have a new go-to move in giving Phil (and Luke) some topic and doing as much wordplay as possible (the birds a couple weeks ago and Canada after that). This week, the topic was Footloose. That well is yet to dry up. At this point, I can't keep calling Haley the "stealth MVP". It's happening too often. She stole the show with he covering for Claire and Phil.

The Big Bang Theory "The Occupation Recalibration"
I love having Kevin Sussman as Stuart around more this year but can we please give him a win. The best I can understand it is that the writers are trying to make Raj look better, not by actually making him better, but by putting him next to someone more pathetic. I think this was the first Bernadette/Stuart interaction and I liked it. By the way, was that the guy from Drake and Josh who owned the other comic book store? If so, he's looking good. Then there's Brian Posehn who is everywhere this week.

Community "Basic Intergluteal Numismatics"
The Zodiac vibe was great. I would've thought they'd wait a little longer before they did a high concept episode like this. Of course, they did a wonderful job with it. The look, feel, and beats were, expectedly, dead on. As soon as they introduced the Ass-Crack bandit, I assumed we'd see the return of Star Burns. I don't know if that was a common prediction. Time will tell what to make of Pierce's death. It certainly takes care of the lingering "Where's Pierce?" issue. It seems a bit mean though? Is that just me? And, it's weird that they would use Troy so secondarily giving how little time we have with him.

Parks & Recreation "Second Chance"
This was a good use of a 100th episode. It's callback heavy, most notably with Leslie's second announcement of running for City Council. Bringing in Katherine Hahn (itself a happy occurrence) to tell her she's too good for that job is a smart move and leaves me wondering what they have planned for her. I was glad to see Alison Becker as Shauna Malwae-Tweep show up too. Andy's back and that's the best news of all!

The Crazy Ones "Outbreak"
I feel like the "sick people as zombies" shtick is getting old. It's done agreeably enough here though. I enjoyed most everything with the doll, especially her creeping Andrew out. I probably need to accept the lingering sexual tension between Sydney and Andrew as a thing that's always going to be there.

The Michael J Fox Show "Secret"
This is the funniest I've found Graham ever and it was a pretty small part. I can only hope they don't pursue movie with Harris and Leigh as a couple. I'm only now getting used to the family's dynamic. Adding that in has too much potential to spin out of control. Seeing Richard Kind reminded me, when are there going to be more reunion castings? We've have one from Spin City (Kind) and one from Family Ties (Tracy Pollan). More, please. I could see Alan Ruck dating Leigh or Michael Gross being sagely in some way.

Parenthood "Stay a Little Longer"
I'm switching to bullet points again for this show. Too much happens to make one giant-ass paragraph.
-Ever other week this year has been a story about how Crosby needs to realize how great Jasmine is for him, often by using the band, who really need to finish recording this album soon.
-That was a really unsatisfying ending to Max's story this week. Don't get me wrong, it was the right way to do it and the lack of satisfaction was certainly the aim. I hope they give him a win soon.
-It's nice to see Zeek not in "lost puppy dog" mode. I don't remember there ever being a lot of bonding time between him and Amber. There should be more.
-Hank is a complete dick this week. I'm chalking this up to them playing up his potential Aspergers though. It's clear that Sarah was outclassed for this job, which, to it's credit, the show doesn't shy away from.
-As someone who wishes the best for them, I'm not looking forward to the next few weeks with Julia and Joel. They are both being idiots. I'm so relieved that the killed any lingering possibility that Joel and Penny Meredith would have an indiscretion.

No comments:

Post a Comment