Friday, January 31, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Pitch: Francis Ford Coppola takes on one history's greatest monsters.

What Took Me So Long: I'm not the biggest fan of Coppola or Bram Stoker's book.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This looks like a Dracula movie. I cannot take that away from it. If one was going to take the book and make a fairly faithful adaptation, this is how you'd hope it would look. Gary Oldman makes a great Dracula. At this point though, doesn't it seem redundant to say "Gary Oldman did a great job"?

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I fell asleep watching this twice. That tells me two things: it was long and it was boring. I don't think it was a bad movie, but sleep doesn't lie. It is also unfortunate that this and Interview with the Vampire came out so close to one another because they are so similar and I'm having difficulty recalling the differences between the two except for the parts that I remember are from the book.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment