Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Crocodile Dundee

The Pitch: Hey, I just took a vacation to the outback. What would it be like if one of those aborigines came to America? ...You're right, let's just get a white guy, but he has to be Australian.

What Took Me So Long: I've seen this movie before even if I haven't actually seen this one before.

Why I Saw It: It's a fifth-tier pop-culture classic that I needed to get to eventually. It is definitely one of the stronger and most obvious "fish out of water" movies out there with some solid laughs. Even now, "no, this is a knife." gets me despite being one of the most recognizable lines of the 80s.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Before this, was the U.S.'s only exposure to Australia before this AC/DC and the video for "Man Down Under"? 25 years later, it's hard to see what caused this movie to be such a phenomenon. It's good humored enough, I suppose. It's a unique (for it's time) romantic comedy. So there's that. This is all to say that it isn't some top-tier timeless movie. It is thoroughly as good as I expected it would be.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment