Thursday, January 16, 2014

DVR Purge: 1/11-1/15

Here I was, ready to make a joke about Brooklyn Nine Nine winning the Golden Globe for best comedy series and not following up with a great episode. But wait, they did. Another strong episode from the best of the freshman comedies.

Past Purges

HIMYM "Slapsgiving 3: Slappointment in Slapmarra"
Look, I like NPH playing panicky as much as the next guy but I wish they'd find a new angle for him leading into a slap. Boys 2 Men was a nice touch for this one though. And, I like whenever they bring back guest stars for 3 second scenes in the hallway of what appears to be the same apartment building.

Archer "White Elephant"
Now that I think of it, there's no reason to think that ISIS was ever being run on the up and up. The montage at the end was strange but exciting and I found Carol song quite catchy. I'm not sure how I feel about the role reversal involved with selling the white elephant though. As horrible as ISIS was, it at least structured the protagonists as good guys. That isn't all that important to the fabric of the series but the cartel game is generally reserved for non-heroes. Eh, we'll see how it goes.

Agents of SHIELD "Seeds"
This was a very long episode. I know the runtime is the same. It sure felt longer though. A lot of parts to it. The school rivalry was funny. They better pay that off with a trip to Operations some time. The school system is quite robust. I hope SHIELD isn't supposed to still be a well kept secret because it is impossible to be covert with that many students involved. Also, I like that Fitz and Simmons are legends there. The show leans on the "scrappy group of rejects" angle a little too often so it's good to be reminded that our leads are some of the best available people.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "The Bet"
My first instinct is to groan when it was apparent this would be about Peralta and Santiago's unresolved feelings because "will they/won't they"s are uniformly annoying. I didn't mind it so much though. 1) I know it is inevitable and it's way more fun to be a 'shipper than a oh-god-no-er. 2) They played this very well. Both characters were more likable when on the stake-out. Just about everything with Boyle was hilarious from sharing the honor with a horse to the truth bombs. Even his confession to Diaz was sweet and great for understanding his character. And, let me not forget Holt faking a text. That is worth watching again.

New Girl "Basketball"
"I can think of five other reasons I'd want to be your friend. Boob Boob Vagina Butt Cheek Butt Cheek." That is all.
...
Ok, no it isn't but you get my point. Strong episode for everyone. Nick and Jess got to be weird. They found a way to make me not hate Schmidt being at work. I loved the clues that Winston should be a cop included wanting to get donuts in the morning. Cece even got to be comfortably fit into the episode with this new job at the bar.

The Mindy Project "L.A."
I won't bother dissecting the plot points here because it involves me going down a very negative rabbit hole instead...
"I watched lacrosse and i liked it."
"Everyone here is like a minimum of two different races."
Kevin Smith alert!
Don't make me examine it any closer than that such as the absolutely contrived way they ended her relationship.

Trophy Wife "The Punisher"
I was about to credit them for the best use of Natalie Morales yet, then she disappeared after the first act. Such a waste! I'd also love to see a few more clues as to what Pete saw in his ex-wives.

Cougar Town "Like a Diamond"
That was a kind of disappointing use of Matthew Perry. Granted, I loathe stories based on escalating lies, so if the laugh when it all falls apart isn't an exceptional one, I'm going to be irritated by it as a whole.

The Middle "War of the Hecks"
Sue fighting back. Awesome! It has been too long since we got an episode of sibling building for the older Heck children and this was the best one I can remember.

Suburgatory "No Me Gusta, Miami"
Dare I say that that was a lazily quick fix to not having Malin Akerman around? I'm going to forgive it though because this episode also gave me Dahlia's twerking lawyers which I approve of.

Modern Family "Under Pressure"
-That was a waste of a Jesse Eisenberg guest star. When Modern Family relies on contrivance, it normally is at least building to something big and broad. This wasn't even that. Mitchell spills some bio fuel and there's some packing peanuts*. That's lazy by even Modern Family standards.
-Krakowski vs. Vergara needs to happen as often as the producers can arrange it.
-Jay and Phil as students is an easy but effective gag.
-No way around it. Alex's therapy session was just plain bad. Ariel Winters does a good job and I don't question the sincerity of the scene. It is too much of a buzz-kill for the show surrounding it, forced the escalation of her stress too abruptly and quickly, and was such a transparent play for an emotional beat that it completely turned me off.
The more I think about this episode, the less I like it.

*What possible reason did they have for taking the doll house out of the box before they got inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment