Thursday, January 2, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Out of Africa

The Pitch: Umm, I'm not sure, but I'm sure the words "prestige picture" and "Oscar" were used.

What Took Me So Long: It looked like it belonged in the "long and boring" category of Oscar winners along with such gems as The English Patient and The Last Emperor.

Why I Saw It: It did win best picture. Despite myself, I do like working through that list. The acting is good in this, especially from Meryl "I could've gotten nominated for Stuck on You if I tried" Streep and Robert "I'm gonna remake Life of Pie but without the Tiger" Redford. The story is sufficiently complex to justify the length.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The story is certainly not sufficiently interesting to justify the length though. It's almost comical in hindsight how movies like this win Oscars. There's an Oscar formula for sure and this seemed to be made from the cookbook.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment