Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Lilo and Stitch

The Pitch: A little girl gets [what she thinks is] a dog that sounds an awful lot like Nibbler from Futurama.
No, I don't want to suggest that Disney relied too much on past successes for this one, but...

What Took Me So Long: I always looked at this movie as the symbolic end of the Disney Renaissance.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Even bad Disney is pretty good, right? I was testing that theory. I like that Disney is willing to get a little weird. Most of the Disney tropes are there: one or fewer parents, unlikely friendship, comedic villains to offset the tension.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Maybe this was too out there. It lacks a timeless, epic, or relatable quality to it, and some mix of that is needed. I think the hope was that more people would really love Stitch. He was more odd than lovable though. I don't know. The quality just wasn't there. The Lion King feels like a movie. This feels like a long episode of one of their animated series.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment