Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Movie Reaction: Inside Llewyn Davis

Formula: (Not Fade Away - 10 Years) ^ O Brother, Where Art Thou?
 

Why I Saw It: I like the setting, cast, directors, and music. Thus, this was a no brainer.

Cast: Oscar Isaac is one of those guys I've seen before but I'd have to check his IMDB page to remember what and I'd still confuse him a couple times for Jake Johnson or David Krumholtz. My ignorance aside, he's dazzling as Llewyn Davis. He's a complete fuck-up yet I was rooting for him the whole way through. I was afraid he was cast because he can sing and the Coen's would make due with the acting. If anything, it's the opposite. I don't want to imply he wasn't melodic and heartfelt with his singing. He's good at both. Carey Mulligan is a scene stealer and it's nice seeing her in something more comedic. Justin Timberlake, let's be honest is there because he can sing, but his character, a super nice, happy guy, is what he plays best. John Goodman is entertaining in his couple of scenes in the middle. Adam Driver has the funniest scene in the movie. This is Oscar Isaac's movie with a bunch of small parts fulling out the rest of it.

Plot: I'll be the first to admit that I don't always get the Coen brothers. Sometimes it's easy, like Big Lebowski or True Grit. Other times, it's more opaque, like A Serious Man or Barton Fink. Obviously, the best comparison to this would be O Brother, Where Art Thou?. The story is nothing more than following Llewyn around for a couple days in the twilight of his time as a professional musician. His life is the result of a series of bad breaks, bad decisions, and bad timing. He's miserable any time he isn't singing, and when he sings, well, that's a treat for us all. The reason I bring up not always "getting" Coen brothers movies is because the movie ends and I thought that the movie is about 20 different things and I'm not such which, if any, are correct. This is a good thing, I think. I don't know. It worked for me.

Elephant in the Room: What about the singing? I may get the soundtrack. That should say enough. All or most of the songs are original (I think? The fact that I'm not sure is also a good sign). Isaac sounds just like a 60s folk singer should. Justin Timberlake we know can sing. It shouldn't surprise me that Carey Mulligan can sing given who she is married to and the fact that's she's perfect. Speaking of her husband, musical consultant is rarely credit I pay attention to but this is one where it matters. The names Marcus Mumford and T-Bone Burnett immediately jump out. The one being the Mumford you've heard of before and the other basically being a super producer who I've learned to trust. IMDB him.

To Sum Things Up:
It's a shame I already made my top ten list for 2013 because I would've found room for this. It isn't story dependent so much as atmospheric and I love the atmosphere of the movie. The singing is wonderful. The acting is spot-on. It's funny. It's sad. It's got a cat. It's certainly a movie I'm anxious to see again. I can see how the movie could come off a little...sparse for some. I assume that the fan base of this will be small but vocal.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment