Thursday, January 30, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Rio

The Pitch: Like Madagascar but with more birds.

What Took Me So Long: I'm slow to get to animated movies anyway and this looked so derivative of Madagascar.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Had the voice cast been a live action movie, I'd strongly consider seeing it on that alone. Jesse Eisenberg, Anne Hathaway, Leslie Mann, and Rodrigo Santoro are all solid choices. The most pleasant surprise in the movie is how often I actually laughed. I can't say how all the jokes landed on kids but there were more than enough to keep me entertained. It also looks great, which shouldn't surprise me because Blue Sky Studios tends to put out good product (granted, that's almost entirely based on Ice Age). Even the songs were catchy.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It isn't the most imaginative idea, having a domesticated animal go back to his exotic roots. The only thing that really bothered me was when Jermaine Clement's Nigel raps. Just, no. I know it's not to be taken seriously but it's like watching Burger King commercials from the 80s with old people break dancing. I get the joke, but don't want to see it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment