Monday, January 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!

The Pitch: A cop parody starring Leslie Neilsen.*

*There's not much to the pitch. It's all in the execution.

What Took Me So Long: I don't know. Maybe the fact that there being three of them scared me away as a time investment.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's rare to find a comedy that holds up as well as this one and stays as well regarded. Having seen it now, I understand why. It is loopy as hell and some jokes are a bit dated (I didn't recognize a lot of the anti-American leaders at the beginning, for example). Then there's things that weren't funny at the time, but are now (I'm looking at you, O.J. Simpson). It is so dense with jokes that I know, like Airplane, if I rewatch it, there will be plenty of news ones to catch.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Outside of movies like this serving as an inspiration for what became Meet the Spartans and other movies that ruined parodies in the 2000s, I can't find anything to fault it. I would happily trade no Naked Gun Trilogy for no Superhero Movie though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment