Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Imposter

The Pitch: A documentary about a con-man who get to America pretending to be a missing child.


What Took Me So Long: I didn't realize it was on Netflix. Otherwise, I'd've watched it sooner.

Why I Saw It: I heard it mentioned in different places as a good, recent documentary so I decided to give it a try. It follows the story of European con-artist who regularly impersonates children and how in 1997, he duped US and European authorities pretending to be a missing child from Texas. He is even accepted by the boy's family despite having a European accent, being significantly older, and not looking all that much like him. It's a pretty unbelievable story and plays as much like a thriller as any movie I've seen. This was completely an unexpected delight.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It would be nice for the story to have a little more resolution but that's part of the fun of it. I cannot find a downside to this unless you simply hate watching documentaries.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment